Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 Raptor 660 with a new 05 that I just put in.
Tried re-wiring it compleatly but somehow I can’t get it to run.
Also, if I jumó the relay it’ll turn over, but with the key switch and start button nothing.
The ignition coil has 2 wires that connects to it.
I know that the Orange wires plugs in, but that other black wire has power also, I thought it was supposed to be ground.
It’ll help to see one of you guys make a video rewiring from start to finish a raptor 660, I searched all over the internet and the closest thing I can find is a diagram, and I Obviosly can’t read that shit 🤦🏻‍♂️
Please help. I’ll greatly appreciate it

·
Master of the Electron
15,454 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

No offense, but you need to learn to read that shit. I have included the wiring diagram below.

If the starter doesn't crank when you press the start button, your problem has nothing to do with the ignition coil. However, the black wire to the coil SHOULD be at ground... if it is not then your entire ground circuit is likely mis-wired. All black wires should be connected together in the harness and then connected to the negative battery cable through a black wire with a bullet connector. I suggest this may be disconnected.

Get your grounds straightened out, then also - You need to have 12V on the red/black wire that leads to the CDI (under the seat). You can check this by putting the quad in reverse (with key on and run/stop at run). If the reverse light turns on, then you can be sure the CDI has 12V and a ground and that the CDI is working, at least partially.

Then, if it still doesn't crank and start, you're going to have to get a volt meter and learn how to use it (or find a friend that already does)... and I can walk you through all the measurements necessary to figure out what the heck is going on. You will learn a lot in the process, I promise!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response Man, No offense taken, I ve been trying for a long time, I understand more or less, but I can’t call my self a diagram reader, whatever I don’t understand I just search it up, but it seem like maybe I asked the wrong questions cuz I can’t never figure it out.

and yes, that’s my theory, that the owner before
meases Up something in the harness.
But I’ll do that, I’ll get to work on it right now and update later on.
Thanks again for the help

·
Master of the Electron
15,454 Posts
The good thing about the wiring diagram is it is very simple... ONCE you understand it!

Just look at the color codes on the bottom - and the object descriptions on the right. Then see what color wires are connected to each object and then where those wires go to next (keep in mind they also show both halves of mating connectors)... Every wire and connector has a color - pretty soon it starts to make some sense - kinda like Lego instructions, lol! (maybe I'm simplifying too much?)

They also simplify the look of the diagram by abbreviating the ground circuit - they use a couple of symbols (attached below) to show whether a ground connection is to the frame or to the main black harness ground.

Harness ground:

Frame/block/handlebar/battery ground:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum!

No offense, but you need to learn to read that shit. I have included the wiring diagram below.

If the starter doesn't crank when you press the start button, your problem has nothing to do with the ignition coil. However, the black wire to the coil SHOULD be at ground... if it is not then your entire ground circuit is likely mis-wired. All black wires should be connected together in the harness and then connected to the negative battery cable through a black wire with a bullet connector. I suggest this may be disconnected.

Get your grounds straightened out, then also - You need to have 12V on the red/black wire that leads to the CDI (under the seat). You can check this by putting the quad in reverse (with key on and run/stop at run). If the reverse light turns on, then you can be sure the CDI has 12V and a ground and that the CDI is working, at least partially.

Then, if it still doesn't crank and start, you're going to have to get a volt meter and learn how to use it (or find a friend that already does)... and I can walk you through all the measurements necessary to figure out what the heck is going on. You will learn a lot in the process, I promise!
Ok so the wires don’t match at all with the color code ...

Attachments

·
Master of the Electron
15,454 Posts
The only published schematic is for 2001. The color codes did not change, but for 2002-2005 the CDI connections did. Look at my sticky - The differences between 01 and 02 CDI wiring explained
to see the changes.

This is the ONLY significant change except for deletion of the parking brake switch for 2005.

Your 03 fits what is in the linked post. BTW, the orientation in my drawings is, if I recall correctly, is looking into the ends of the harness connectors, so they may look backwards compared to your picture...but easy to figure out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only published schematic is for 2001. The color codes did not change, but for 2002-2005 the CDI connections did. Look at my sticky - The differences between 01 and 02 CDI wiring explained
to see the changes.

This is the ONLY significant change except for deletion of the parking brake switch for 2005.

Your 03 fits what is in the linked post. BTW, the orientation in my drawings is, if I recall correctly, is looking into the ends of the harness connectors, so they may look backwards compared to your picture...but easy to figure out.
Got it, already set up the wires on the CDi correctly with my 02+ CDI
Now ... I undid the tape on the harnes a little further and found out some crazy shit that I can’t understand, been trying to figure it out with the diagram you gave me, but I just can’t 🤦🏻‍♂️, I’ll post the pictures here to see if it helps.
but the (solid yellow wire) connects to a black female connector, right next to it comes out a (solid brown wire) that goes up and connects to the (white and red wire) the other 2 brown wires connect with the key switch and another to the start switch. Also, on top I have the same connection as the bottom (another Female plug) with yellow wire and a black wire) dont know WTF this is -.-

Attachments

·
Master of the Electron
15,454 Posts
I need higher quality and brighter pics to help... also it appears as if several wires change colors along their path with electrical tape at the joints... obviously I can't help you ferret out modifications to stock wiring. The unmodified wire's colors at each connector should give you all the hints you need to match up with the wiring diagram.

Brown is key-switched 12V that goes to the headlight and brake switches. The black two pin connectors are at the brake light switches. Yellow leads from the brake switches to the brake light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would you recommend that I undo the whole harness and attempt to put it back together the correct way ?
im sorry to be a pain in the ass but I’m just sure I won’t be able to do it by myself. You’ve been helping me out A LOT, and I appreciate it that, but it looks like I keep running into more issues.

·
Master of the Electron
15,454 Posts
Hey, keep asking, I'll keep helping... but sometimes helping youto help yourself - I can't do ALL your homework for you! ;-} You will get it straightened out eventually...

Reactions: Jaymzwayne

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, keep asking, I'll keep helping... but sometimes helping youto help yourself - I can't do ALL your homework for you! ;-} You will get it straightened out eventually...
Haha, Got you 👍🏽
You’re right, and maybe someone else has the same issues I have and this might help them.
Thanks Again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I agree with everything you're saying but not all black wires are ground wires in your multifunction switch there is a black wire that supposed to be hot that goes to the start button . Just like the starter wire is black it goes on top of the starter and goes to the starter relay it would have been more advisable for them to change the color of that wire I always voted against that wire being black very easily mistaken. It would be strongly advised to get a voltmeter and a light tester as the as this guy suggested you need to learn how to read wire schematics and know how to use a Multimeter and a light tester and it will help you out a great deal and save you a whole lot of time

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got it, already set up the wires on the CDi correctly with my 02+ CDI
Now ... I undid the tape on the harnes a little further and found out some crazy shit that I can’t understand, been trying to figure it out with the diagram you gave me, but I just can’t 🤦🏻‍♂️, I’ll post the pictures here to see if it helps.
but the (solid yellow wire) connects to a black female connector, right next to it comes out a (solid brown wire) that goes up and connects to the (white and red wire) the other 2 brown wires connect with the key switch and another to the start switch. Also, on top I have the same connection as the bottom (another Female plug) with yellow wire and a black wire) dont know WTF this is -.-
It may save you a lot of frustration and time to just buy a good used harness from eBay is your final result then you can look at that harness for comparison to rebuild yours then the one you just bought you can either save it or put it back on eBay for sale and make your money back

1 - 15 of 15 Posts