Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys i am new here and i am looking at getting a 01 raptor 550r tomorrow. the quad does have a issue and currently does not run. the guy told me he was riding a wheelie on it and went back to far and it stalled. he went to start it and it would not star. i went and checked the bike out yesterday and its in decent shape and it does in fact still turn over....i just dont want to get it and it be something major. any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just talked to him again he also said that after it stalled he took the xhaust (whole slip on and headers off) and it started,so he shut it off and threw the exhaust back on and it would not fire....any ideas?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
just talked to him again he also said that after it stalled he took the xhaust (whole slip on and headers off) and it started,so he shut it off and threw the exhaust back on and it would not fire....any ideas?
Very strange, only thing I can think of is if the exhaust is plugged or damaged............
Check for spark, and it is a 660r, not a 550R............

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry not good with typping.... yes 660r.is it possible it dropped an intake valve? just would like to know what i am getting into. yes has very good spark.

·
Registered
584 Posts
if it dropped a valve, it would make an awful sound in the motor while cranking. it would prob turn over once and then lock up against the valve and then either break a starter gear or bend a rod or.... point is, it didnt drop a valve if it still turns over... do a comp check if you can. check the exhaust to see if it got bent up into the plastics and kinked the pipe shut. those are my thoughts and what i would do.

Good luck,
Hunter

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
header is in good shape,has a brand new hmf silencer,it turns over and it has really good compression coming out the exhaust....makes no sense why it would run without the exhaust on but wont with it on

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Could the packing inside the exhaust been disturbed and clogged it?

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Not likely from a wheelie but then again did he take the time to show you all this or just babble this to you? I think hes full of sh**!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i looked aat it and he took the time to tell me this stuff and showed me the motor still cranks over well... and you can put your hand over the exhaust and feel it does in fact have compression......

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
I flipped mine doing a wheelie and the floats stuck to the top of the bowls causing major flooding.. I hit them with a hammer and they went back down......ran fine after that

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
you can put your hand over the exhaust and feel it does in fact have compression......
i did this to a honda 350 i was working on last week and it turned out that the piston had a one inche hole in the side......just saying

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
How much his he selling it for anyway? That guy dosent seem legit if he says all this. I would be warry. I know you would like to get it, your stomach is chearning and wont it be nice but wont it be awfull if its somethin major and ends up costing you alot of money?

Then again you got no visual proof of this its just hearsay for the time being right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i thought the same thing. and i am trading him my warrior (.20) over namura piston kit,tusck clutch plates,o.e.m cam,timing chain and slides,moose gasket set,carb rebuild kit,clutch cable,wheel bearings and axle bearings(pivot works),dura blue axle,dg bumper,n style graphics kit,-all that was mentioned has 2 rides on it .this is why i am trying to find out as much as i can.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i was also looking at another 01. bike has a dg exhaust new top end9which the seller has recipts for),the trannsmission corrected,but the bike needs a starter clutch gear due to the one in it being bent......i have been told it can be ridden if you remove the gear then i have been told if i removed the gear it would lock the crank up.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Man looks like you have a sweet 350 and i wouldent trade until i knew exactly what was going on before doing it! Yours runs perfect i bet and these two ass clows just want to give you the shaft. Gut fealing says NO DEAL!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts