Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all I'm looking for a little help in finding the right size bolt for the left side crankcase cover. I found an oil leak near the top of the cover and discovered a few of the bolts are stripped. When I took it out and used a cheapo bolt sizer I had it measured 15/64 diameter and thread length was about 1-1/2". I attached a picture of the bolt, I'd like to use a helicoil to fix it and want to make sure I get the correct size. Could I just get a 1/4" helicoil kit and bolt and use that? Any help would be appreciated. This is on my 03 Raptor 660.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am not seeing the size on the parts fiche. That is a METRIC bolt! Everything on the Raptor is metric. You should be able to find it at any hardware store in the slide out trays. Just don't go to the large bins, those are not metric!! Just take the old bolt with you and match it up. It is a 8MM head. Also make sure the thread pitch is the same.

You should be able to re tap the hole with the next size up bolt. Just make sure there is enough case to do this.

·
Master of the Electron
14,905 Posts
The sizes are all defined in the downloadable shop manual.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The bolt is a 6mm diameter by 1mm pitch.

The next common size up is a 8mm and it is too big. Best to drill and helicoil or threadsert it to the original 6mm.

The 1/4" is the American version closest to 6mm and it is very close. You could swap that one bolt out and redo it with the 1/4" thread if you felt so inclined with zero issues.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bolt is a 6mm diameter by 1mm pitch.

The next common size up is a 8mm and it is too big. Best to drill and helicoil or threadsert it to the original 6mm.

The 1/4" is the American version closest to 6mm and it is very close. You could swap that one bolt out and redo it with the 1/4" thread if you felt so inclined with zero issues.
Thank you! This is what I was looking for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts