Raptor Forum banner

NEED HELP WITH GEARS!!!

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rt 
#1 ·
I cant get the top speed I want with out hitting the rev limiter. Its not a trail raptor, more like a baja raptor. I have a I have a stock sprocket in the rear and a 1 tooth down in the from (13 I think). I am not sure what I top out at, mph but I would like to be able to maintain what I have now without hiting the rev limiter any sugestions

#3 ·
jra925 said:
I cant get the top speed I want with out hitting the rev limiter. Its not a trail raptor, more like a baja raptor. I have a I have a stock sprocket in the rear and a 1 tooth down in the from (13 I think). I am not sure what I top out at, mph but I would like to be able to maintain what I have now without hiting the rev limiter any sugestions
You've left out two important pieces of information; what modifications you have done to the bike (aside from gearing) and what the top speed is that you're looking for.

If you're still accellerating quickly when you hit the limiter then you've got to look into taller gearing. The 12 tooth front is slowing you down about 5-8 mph from the stock 13 tooth. For baja you may even want a 14 or 15 if you've got the power to turn it along with your tires (I'm assuming you're running 22" rears).

If you're just creeping upward and are very near your top speed when you hit the limiter, a slight gear change (a tooth or two in the rear) may do the trick.

#4 ·
I've got:

11:1
Stage 2 Hot cam
Dyno Jet carb ket
K&N intake
DMC tru dual exhast

I have pleanty of power at the top of fifth. My buddy has the same quad, 02 raptor 686 almost exactly like mine only he doesmt have a cam or piston, but his is the unlimited edition. so when we are racing when we get into 5th and start haulin I hit the limiter and he gets about and extra grand I think and just pulls away. I was goint to put a 14 in the front. do you think that will even it out?

#5 ·
I would think that he would have to have a piston almost like yours because I don't think they make stock compression pistons for a 686.
2ndly-if you have stock gearing and you hit the rev lim. in 5th and he doesn't, he has a rev box that gives him another 1000 rpm, or a 14 tooth sprocket. plus if he doesn't have a cam, he'd be loosing so much power as soon as he got near 9000, over that it drops like a rock with a stock cam. He has more on his bike than he's telling you!

#6 ·
jra925 said:
I've got:

11:1
Stage 2 Hot cam
Dyno Jet carb ket
K&N intake
DMC tru dual exhast

I have pleanty of power at the top of fifth. My buddy has the same quad, 02 raptor 686 almost exactly like mine only he doesmt have a cam or piston, but his is the unlimited edition. so when we are racing when we get into 5th and start haulin I hit the limiter and he gets about and extra grand I think and just pulls away. I was goint to put a 14 in the front. do you think that will even it out?
There is no "unlimited edition". The only special Raptor model was a "limited edition" and it was nothing more than a different color scheme with different graphics.

Without an aftermarket rev box he can't rev past around 9k, but honestly I'd be amazed if he's anywhere near 9k without internal modifications.

If both of you have the same gearing, your bike should always beat his on top end and accelleration. If this isn't the case then either;

1. Your bike isn't running right
2. He's lying about not being modified
3. You weigh as much as a house and he's a 90 pound weakling

#8 ·
rt said:
I would think that he would have to have a piston almost like yours because I don't think they make stock compression pistons for a 686.
2ndly-if you have stock gearing and you hit the rev lim. in 5th and he doesn't, he has a rev box that gives him another 1000 rpm, or a 14 tooth sprocket. plus if he doesn't have a cam, he'd be loosing so much power as soon as he got near 9000, over that it drops like a rock with a stock cam. He has more on his bike than he's telling you!
that or u can be runin lean up top and loosing power

#9 ·
Thanx for all the imput. He has stock gearing. I know it was an unlimited edition because I saw the factory sticker. Maybe I just not running at top performance and his is. I have another thing I would like to talk about. Me and my buddy got our quads right after we got back from Iraq we took a 30 day vacation and drove from east coast to west coast riding all over. we have gotten pretty confortable on them and now we are starting to catch some air, but the landing is always rough. I didnt buy my raptor for jumping I got it for the power and speed. but is it just rough because its so heavy and not made for that?

#10 ·
good after market suspension will take care of that. The raptor 660's stock suspension totally blows!
you'll be able to launch,..and launch far with the better higher-end systems...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.