Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new owner of a 2007 Raptor 700 and I just ordered a HMF Slip-On Exhaust for my quad. I have been reading other threads and I have found that it is needed to put a fuel controller/programer on the bike with the aftermarket exhaust. I'm familiar with the Dynojet Powercommander because my friends 700 has it installed in it. I know that its a pricey programmer and I'm looking for input on what I should purchase for the bike. What are good programmers i can put on the quad and what is affordable? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
120 Posts
Can you return the slip on and buy a full exhaust? LOL Slip-ons aren't worth much power but you would feel a nice increase from a full exhaust. Anyways, I would recommend a power commander. Might wanna hold out for a bit and get the new power commander with timing when it comes out.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Did you put a different intake and air filter on it ? Are you running with the lid or no lid. If you are running factory air filter and lid on, you don't need a programmer. I have run my wifes 700 with a slip on and no other mods and the plug is perfect in color when I check it. Take the lid off, and you will need a programmer. Change the intake and filter, you will probably need a programmer. Power commanders V is the way to go if and when you decide to buy one. The maps are easy to find and install. TQS will pre install the map you need if you buy from them.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yes, go with powercommander! i currently have the Lexx Gen programmer (doback) and i cant really stand it. it doesnt feel like the right tune.

so dont waste your money buying a cheap one and just go with pcIII/V the first time.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I'm going to agree with qwknbad, with no air intake mods a slip-on won't need a programmer.

I'm going to disagree with trespasser on the Lexx unit.. It's what I have right now and it's a very good budget controller. I just got my bike dyno tested and everything is spot on, the tuner didn't have any issues getting a perfect A/F ratio across the band and the power is where it should be for my mods. I would gain nothing by going to a PowerCommander at this point.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I'm going to agree with qwknbad, with no air intake mods a slip-on won't need a programmer.

I'm going to disagree with trespasser on the Lexx unit.. It's what I have right now and it's a very good budget controller. I just got my bike dyno tested and everything is spot on, the tuner didn't have any issues getting a perfect A/F ratio across the band and the power is where it should be for my mods. I would gain nothing by going to a PowerCommander at this point.
I will disagree with your comment about "Gaining Nothing" from a PowerCommander. You would gain a slightly bigger hole in your pocket :wow:

Sorry, just had to do that...

·
8SEVENTY3
1,336 Posts
You will need a programmer if you change anything. And buy a powercommander first so you wont have to worry about selling a different one that you bought to buy a powercommander later.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help. The Raptor is completely stock at the moment with the stock air filter and lid. I talked to a local Yamaha dealer today and someone helped me out saying he didn't think it was necessary for the programmer. He said to put it on and if I end up noticing trouble with the bike starting or it backfiring then it might be needed. Another mechanic I know said that since it is fuel injected it wouldn't be needed. Im still debating it. I'd love to throw a Power Commander on there but thats another 300 dollars or more. Why would an aftermarket air filter and whether or not the lid was on or off make a difference?

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
the filter and no lid will give it more air, requiring more fuel. If you leave the stock lid on it won't take in any more air.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you are strapped for cash and need to compromise then go with a full exhaust and a cheaper fuel programmer like the LEXX....... I have the LEXX and have had no issues with it for almost a year and a half.....I also have the sparks x6 full exhaust and monster flow with K&N intake.....Big 3 makes a big difference.......and while yer brand new you should really do the full fiber clutch upgrade.......only like $40 for the stiffer springs and maybe $20 for the fiber and gasket.......Much better hookup than factory clutch.......Just my 2 cents.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
The dealer can "flash" the oem ecu. This is to allow for a lidless box and a gytr intake. Idk know how much difference your mods flow air than the gytr kit. If not much have dealership "flash" the ecu. Every dealer ain't hip but it's possible I know for a fact got a dude running the gytr pipe and filter. It's been on for years no problems he said the stealership "flashed" it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts