Raptor Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 660 raptor and I need some help. I need to know what the voltage/ amps should be between the stater and coil. It runs great but when the lights go on, the engine bogs down. Do I need a new stater or a new battery?

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Are you running additional lights, or just the stockers? The stator/regulator should be able to provide enough current to run everything on the bike without a problem, BUT the battery should too...

Does the battery charge and start the quad fine every time? Do you have any other issues? Does riding the quad keep the battery charged? (measure battery voltage with engine running well above idle - should be at least 13.5VDC)

THe stator should be able to provide almost 20A - the 'coil' as you state has nothing to do with it - there is no direct connection. Even if the stator was not providing ANY current, as long as the battery has a charge (and it does if it was able to start the engine), then turning lights on should not cause your symptom unless there's a problem elsewhere.

If I were to guess, from these symptoms, I'd suggest you have a high resistance connection somewhere - perhaps key switch or the red wire to the key switch. Perhaps the red wire is partailly broken somewhere along it's path with only a few strands of copper remaining.

Measure voltage between battery minus and the red wire at the key switch with engine running, both with headlights on and off... repeat these measurements on the other side of the key switch (brown and red/white wires). what are these four measurements? My guess is that you will see the voltage drop significantly with lights on at one or the other of these points.

Let me know your results.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts