Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 660 raptor it starts up easy and ideals on it's own but when I go to give it gas it starts cutting out. I'm new to 4 wheelers so I'm not to sure where to start, but the two nipples by the drain screws on the bottom on the bowls leak. Any help would be appreciated

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1) your carbs need cleaning - the float valves are leaking, most likely due to gunk deposited on the valve plunger and seat

2) your carbs need cleaning - the pilot jets are likley plugging up from the same gunk making the engine sputter when coming on the throttle

3) it is possible that one of the RPM limiters is being turned on by a bad/loose connection on the reverse switch or shorted parking brake switch connections. Read "Most common problems with the Raptor 660", a sticky at the top of the General 660 Discussion section. Pay attention to the RPM limiter section.

Let us know what you find out as you proceed and feel free to ask questions - we'll be glad to help you along the path.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks i have cleand them twice but iv ben doing some reading on here but i dont think im going in to them far enough. Like i said im farily new to quads and this is the first carb setup iv ever messed with should i just get a complete carb rebuild kit if so do you recomend any Thanks agin

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
One thing to be concerned about - often the o-ring under the float valve seat will start leaking just after cleaning... it hardens up and the seal fails from exposure to cleaner or from disrturbing its position - don't really know the cause, but it is very common. If you didn't replace that o-ring, I would suggest it to stop the leak.

RE: cleaning, if you didn't remove and thorougly clean the pilot jets tiny passages, they will need to be done again.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Check the size of the pilots, if they arent 25s, get them, that is one thing they hsould have come with stock.............

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks agin guys i was looking at my carbs and i had a buddie of mine put them on for me and i guess they wer leaking around the bowls and he got the idea to put sealer on the gaskets I have no idea what he was thinking so now i have to get a carb rebuild kit. So what piolt jets do you guys recomend i know #25 but is ther a special brand and what kind of rebuild kit should i get. I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If your not doing any mods or dont have any mods then it is easier and cheaper just to by everything seperate. Get some needle valves, bowl gaskets and some mikuni #25 pilots. This should get you started if you have some mods or plan on doing some mods Vitos jet kit is nice but it still dosent come with suggested parts above except the #25 pilot. Your local dealer should have everything you need. Good luck

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Is your Raptor stock, or does it have aftermarket exhaust and any mods to the air box/filter?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts