Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys I rebuilt my 660 over winter, I did a 101mm piston, think that's .040 overbore. I used wisco forged piston, and gaskets, I also replaced valve seals and had them lapped. I put in a new timing chain as well. The quad had been running great all the way up till today. I started it and I noticed a poof of smoke. I was like weird. I gave the throttle a quick stab and it poofed smoke again I could smell oil burning. Took it down the road as I climbed in rpm and went to switch gears it would poof smoke again. I can hear some type of noise in the engine that's not normal but I can pin point what it is. The reason I rebuilt it the first time was because it was burning oil real bad. Right now it oy smokes when I give it gas at higher rpm. It doesn't smoke at idle. Bur the first time I rebuilt it did this same stuff then starting smoking all the time. I hope this ain't the same shit. I put alot of money in it over winter and it hasn't acted up till now I got about 25 hrs on it since rebuild. The spark plug looked kinda weird, the bottom of the electrode looked redish? But also had normal wear colors???? Any help before I have to rebuild this thing again.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Okay guys I rebuilt my 660 over winter, I did a 101mm piston, think that's .040 overbore. I used wisco forged piston, and gaskets, I also replaced valve seals and had them lapped. I put in a new timing chain as well. The quad had been running great all the way up till today. I started it and I noticed a poof of smoke. I was like weird. I gave the throttle a quick stab and it poofed smoke again I could smell oil burning. Took it down the road as I climbed in rpm and went to switch gears it would poof smoke again. I can hear some type of noise in the engine that's not normal but I can pin point what it is. The reason I rebuilt it the first time was because it was burning oil real bad. Right now it oy smokes when I give it gas at higher rpm. It doesn't smoke at idle. Bur the first time I rebuilt it did this same stuff then starting smoking all the time. I hope this ain't the same shit. I put alot of money in it over winter and it hasn't acted up till now I got about 25 hrs on it since rebuild. The spark plug looked kinda weird, the bottom of the electrode looked redish? But also had normal wear colors???? Any help before I have to rebuild this thing again.
When you rebuilt the engine, did you bore it and install a new piston and if so, what was the clearance, also, did you change the valve seals, did you check the valve to guide clearance, if so what was the clearance.
What shape was the sleeve in if it wasnt bored and honed.............

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had it bored .040 over and honed, I will have to get the box to get the exact specs, I used a brand new wisco forged piston and wisco piston rings. I had the valves lapped and I had brand new valve seals put in, also adjusted the valve lashes to factory specs, timing chain was replaced as well. I did everything by the book.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mean i have been on five good rides and she has ran great no issues at all.. It just started doing this puffing smoke stuff the other day. It only dies it at first start after sitting or if I stab the throttle quickly. The first time before the rebuild it would smoke at start up and idle and under throttle really bad. Right now it smokes but it's very light in nature, but I don't want it to get to the point of another rebuild. I hope it's just a valve seal or something like that. Just FYI I am runing no snorkel on the air lid, and I thinking got close to stock jets, it ran perfect like that. I tried bigger jets but it ran pig rich and would basically bog down, the smaller jets it ran perfect no popping no pinging it ran great.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
what colour is the smoke? blueish, blck, or white? if your smelling oil it shoud be blue but if its black it could be something as simple as jetting....any noticable power loss?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't noticed a power loss yet, I didn't notice a power loss before I rebuilt the first time until it just went completely south lol. As of right the power is still there. The smoke is faint I can't tell the color in day light but I do smell oil burn. The plug is dry with a very light grey tint and some red on it??? Before I did the rebuild the plug was was wet and gas smell with oil

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well drained the pilot looked really dirty. The weird sound I was hearing was grass stuck in the cooling fan. But it is still burning oil. I got a friend who told me drainthe oil put new oil in and see what it does. If that doesn't help at all, we will tear down and see what happened, Hoping it only needs a hone and new rings,?

·
Registered
143 Posts
what oil are you running? Synthetic will cause ring to seat slower than conventional. also a chrome moly ring will take longer to seat than a cast iron ring. Run the hell out of it and then run a leakdown test, that is the best way to tell if you have any sealing issues.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I run yamalube 10w40 I think it's a blended oil. The rings I used were wisco not sure if they are cromoly or cast? It just now started to smoke it had run great up until the other day. I was really happy with it had plenty of power " more than I can use really", I am hoping an oil change filter change and plug might straighten it out???? If not year down again see if it just need new rings and gaskets put it back to together put it on the market.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well guys the oil change didn't work it's getting worse. I guess I will pull the head of and see if the valve seals are bad, then I will put the piston in the bottom position so I can see the cylinder wall see if it has scratches. I got a brand new plug ran my bike for an hour and it had oil on it.. So guess the tear down begins. I am .040 overbore right now, what would you guys suggest I go to now?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
on the last rebuild, when you lapped the valves. Did you replace the valve seals or reuse your old ones?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, when you do a fresh rebuild do you break it in properly?
I believe so. I let it run at idle for 10-15 minutes then let it cool down and then I did the process over. Then I took it down the road and rode at various rpm never hitting high rpm. I rode it very lightly for a few hours, then changed the oil and filter and repeated the process. It has 25 hrs on it now and ran great up to this point.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Did you miss align the rings when you installed your new piston? Maybe your getting blow by if the gaps in your rings aren't miss aligned?

Here is some good info i found:
"Only other thing is to set them up so the gaps don't line up. Picture a compass on the top of the piston, with the arrow facing North.

Gap on #1 compression ring goes at Northwest (45 deg away from the arrow)
Gap on #2 compression ring goes at Southeast (180 degrees opposite #1)
Gap on top oil ring goes at Northeast (90 deg away from the compression rings)
Bottom oil ring goes to Southwest (180 deg opposite top oil ring)

The important things are:

- compression ring gaps are 180 deg opposite each other
- oil ring gaps are 180 opposite each other, and 90 deg away from the compression ring gaps
- none of the ring gaps are in line with the wrist pin (they should all be 45 deg away from a line drawn through the wrist pin, like an X)."

1 - 20 of 42 Posts