Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM possibly getting into a low use supposedly one ride got run over by quad and never rode again bought new in 07. so i had a 660 but never 700 i had to do the parking brake block off and rev limiter and jetting was a constant battle never the less with help from the forum i got it going and did alot of riding. im kind of nervous couse the 700 has way more electronic components and dont want to take on a problematic machine any tips or info would be very helpfull thanks in advance.:beer:

·
Registered
64 Posts
You will be much happier with a 700. Don't worry about the fuel injection there is nothing to it. I personally have never had a problem with mine in the 3 years I've owned it. Runs great and never broke anything.

·
Registered
415 Posts
there has been a few cracked frames, but they were under very heavy use....mx, fast gncc racing, where they were getting slammed hard. most people will never have an issue. but the subframe does break if it takes a good tumble. not from tipping backward, but from actually tumbling down a hill or bigger wrecks.

the fi isn't a problem, it just costs more initially when you want to modify your exhaust, intake, add a cam or whatever. instead of jets you have to buy a fuel controller which costs $180-300 new, or anywhere from $75-250 used. but they are much easier to get set up since you don't have to pull the carb apart until you get it right.

a 700 is MUCH better than a 660 in every aspect. better motor, handling, suspension, and just looks better. :lol:

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Yeah I absolutely agree with both johnny and raptordrw. Also the 700 platform feels a lot like the 660 just more power. So it will be an easy transition! You cant go wrong ;)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yeah I absolutely agree with both johnny and raptordrw. Also the 700 platform feels a lot like the 660 just more power. So it will be an easy transition! You cant go wrong ;)
DAMMIT CARP THERE IS NO H IN MY NAME!!!! :banghead: :lol: :thumbsup:

oh and you shouldn't be disappointed. once you open up that exhaust and intake, it'll just growl at everything behind you and throw dirt, rocks, sticks, i guess i should say sand too since 70% of everyone rides dunes :lol: whatever and make everyone back off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's the best quad IMO. Put a intake and pcIII on it, uncork the stock exhaust and your done. I put the spark arrestor back in and take a little fuel out (about 30 seconds) when I ride in the woods. Don't need the sound or the extra power. I have had mine since Jan. 2006 and have only had two small problems. I had a plugged/dirty fuel filter(kids put something in the tank) and cut a wire on my pcIII (poor wire routing on my part). This quad has tons of hours on it. It has been street legal since I bought it. Has been on a hand full of 200 mile rides all across Arizona, 30 dune trips, summers in the mountains, mudding during the monsoon(rainy) season, dragging(not drag racing) the local little league fields and running earrands around town. The 700 is the only thing my wife and her sister will ride in the dunes, perfect combonation of controllable power, handling and comfort. I have had a 400ex, lt450r, YFZ450, DS450, KFX700 and she won't give the raptor up, it is the only thing she will ride in the dunes. It is also the only thing I want to be on when I lead everybody around the dunes.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
DAMMIT CARP THERE IS NO H IN MY NAME!!!! :banghead: :lol: :thumbsup:
Ooops sorry jonny LOL I'll remember next time :beer:
It's the best quad IMO. Put a intake and pcIII on it, uncork the stock exhaust and your done. I put the spark arrestor back in and take a little fuel out (about 30 seconds) when I ride in the woods. Don't need the sound or the extra power. I have had mine since Jan. 2006 and have only had two small problems. I had a plugged/dirty fuel filter(kids put something in the tank) and cut a wire on my pcIII (poor wire routing on my part). This quad has tons of hours on it. It has been street legal since I bought it. Has been on a hand full of 200 mile rides all across Arizona, 30 dune trips, summers in the mountains, mudding during the monsoon(rainy) season, dragging(not drag racing) the local little league fields and running earrands around town. The 700 is the only thing my wife and her sister will ride in the dunes, perfect combonation of controllable power, handling and comfort. I have had a 400ex, lt450r, YFZ450, DS450, KFX700 and she won't give the raptor up, it is the only thing she will ride in the dunes. It is also the only thing I want to be on when I lead everybody around the dunes.
That's a lot of hours man! If you don't mind me asking.. What type of oil do you use and how often do you change it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use Pro Honda GN4, $22 for a gallon jug. I grew up with honda's and have friends that still have 30 year old three wheelers on the orignal motors, I figure Honda knows a thing or two about keeping motors running. I also live in a small town and only have a honda shop in town so its easy. The local shop is high priced so I order a couple gal's from rocky mtn atv whenever I get a order over $100(free shipping). I also use tusk oil filters and change the filter at every oil change. I change the oil and adjust the valves at the begining of dune season(Oct.), in the middle(Jan.) and at the end of dune season before camping starts(May). I also have two uni air filters, that way I can keep one cleaned and oiled ready to go, keeps me from running a dirty filter that I know needs to be cleaned but, don't have the time to clean, dry and oil. Everytime I have checked the valves they have been in spec.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My brother had a 660, I liked it alot but the 700 fixed all of the 660's short commings. Chain adjustment, width, carb/jetting, high rpm power, 4 valve head. I liked his 660, had tons of low end power, great wheelier. 700 is just better everywhere.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DEAL FELL OUT. so what year 700 should i look for money is a factor 3500-4000 max also what mods need to be done right away? The 660 had rev limiter to bypass and pb block off just want to know what to reserch and get after thanks and im looking at getting a low hour 06 700 any known issues with this quad completley stock

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Somewhere, I think in the archive section, is a sticky on the fuel pump recall for the very early 06 models. Other than that, get one and ride it.

·
Desert Racer
679 Posts
IMHO I would look into a 08 or later.better shocks and less issues then the first years.:)good luck with your seardh.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Aside from the fuel pump recall, what other issues have there been with the 700 in 2006 or 2007?

·
Desert Racer
679 Posts
Aside from the fuel pump recall, what other issues have there been with the 700 in 2006 or 2007?
wasn`t there also a trans issue?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
wasn't the trans issue on the 660's or not ?? :confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts