Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Raptor 660R My mods are as follows. Full Yoshi exhaust, Stage 1 Hot Cams and a GYTR filter. My current jetting is main jet- 144/146 Pilot- 22.5
and a 9.5 for the other jet I am not sure what it is called. My elevation is 728ft.
So I am just wondering if anyone has any input as to if this is a good set up or not. Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have almost the same setup and I run 25 Pilots, 155L 160R Mikuni mains, Vito's needles with clip in middle position, Fuel screws 1 1/2 out. Im also running my airbox with no lid. Are your jets Dynojet or Mikuni?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have almost the same setup and I run 25 Pilots, 155L 160R Mikuni mains, Vito's needles with clip in middle position, Fuel screws 1 1/2 out. Im also running my airbox with no lid. Are your jets Dynojet or Mikuni?
They are Mikuni are you in the same elevation as me?

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I have a 2004 Raptor 660R My mods are as follows. Full Yoshi exhaust, Stage 1 Hot Cams and a GYTR filter. My current jetting is main jet- 144/146 Pilot- 22.5
and a 9.5 for the other jet I am not sure what it is called. My elevation is 728ft.
So I am just wondering if anyone has any input as to if this is a good set up or not. Thanks
Those sound like Dynojet main jet numbers. At that elevation with a good air filter and no air box lid most people will run 25 pilots or 27.5 (mikuni numbers). Are you having any problems with bike?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm assuming they are Mikuni because I had Dynojet jets in my 450 and they started with DJ so it would say DJ165 on the jet itself. The jets on there now say the number with a square in front of it with a smaller square located on the inside corner of that square.

·
Master of the Electron
15,524 Posts
Those sound like DynoJet numbers. Is your airbox lid off? If so, and with your mods, 146L/148R or 148L/150R mains with 25 pilots and DJ needles is a common setup.

We all find it easier to specify Mikuni jets (as they don't cross well to DJ) - for your mods, 160L/165R or 165L/170R Mikuni mains would fit the bill (along with the 25 pilots and DJ, GYTR or Vitos needles).

The other jet is the starter (choke) jet and should be left alone.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Use #25 pilots, aftermarket needles and if you do not have the air box lid on or it is modified which includes removing the snorkel, run mikuni mains 160 - 165...........

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Use #25 pilots, aftermarket needles and if you do not have the air box lid on or it is modified which includes removing the snorkel, run mikuni mains 160 - 165...........
How can you tell if you have aftermarket needles?

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
How can you tell if you have aftermarket needles?
What color are your needles? I believe the aftermarket needles are all aluminum looking and the factory Mikuni have a gold or brass looking coating on them...That may not apply to all needles so lets see what others say.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, mine have the aluminum finish.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
What color are your needles? I believe the aftermarket needles are all aluminum looking and the factory Mikuni have a gold or brass looking coating on them...That may not apply to all needles so lets see what others say.
GYTR needles are Aluminum color. Good question. Anybody...

·
Registered
76 Posts
jetting

I built my buddys 2004 660 , with a 11:1 piston, yoshimura exhaust , dyna jets , mild cleanup on ports , hotcam stage 2, jetted with 25 pilots, 155 160 exhaust 3rd groove down
on needle clip , drilled out lid , and was a tad rich according to a dyno operator

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I built my buddys 2004 660 , with a 11:1 piston, yoshimura exhaust , dyna jets , mild cleanup on ports , hotcam stage 2, jetted with 25 pilots, 155 160 exhaust 3rd groove down
on needle clip , drilled out lid , and was a tad rich according to a dyno operator
So for your jets you would have been running 165L 176R mains that is with mikuni jets. Dynojet uses a different numbering system for their jets.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can anyone tell me what groove my needles should be on?

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Can anyone tell me what groove my needles should be on?
That's for you to decide. The needles are generally my last tuning step. I like the needle to be crisp, closer to lean than to rich, which makes the bike charge hard up the RPM scale and get the fuel on the main jet circuit as quickly as possible. I would start out with the needle on the 2nd groove from the top down, maybe even start at the the 1st. Make the bike pop if you can when you bust the throttle out of a tight turn then go down one more clip position and stop.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok so I went with the #25 pilots 160L/165R main needles on 3rd groove and fuel screws 2.5 out. The bike falls flat on its face now at 1/4 - 1/2 throttle. Anyone have any idea what might cause this? Also the bike will start up without the choke really easily but will not run when the choke is on. Hope someone can help me I really wanna ride tomorrow.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Actually I just took Quads advice about going back to 160L 165R and raise the clip on my needle 1 notch to get the mid range power back that I was getting from the 155L 160R jets and it worked perfectly...She pulls hard all the way through and the larger mains fixed my top end drop off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually I just took Quads advice about going back to 160L 165R and raise the clip on my needle 1 notch to get the mid range power back that I was getting from the 155L 160R jets and it worked perfectly...She pulls hard all the way through and the larger mains fixed my top end drop off.
So do you think I should try moving the needles to the 2nd position?

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
So do you think I should try moving the needles to the 2nd position?
Pull the tank and you don't have to remove the carbs, just open up the tops and move your needle to the 1st groove. just put the tank on the bike and run it up the road to see how crisp the mid range is, if it pops or pop stalls at 1/4 -1/2 throttle then go to clip 2 position then put the plastic back on the bike and ride it. If it's still loading up with fuel then run the 155L-160R mains and see how it does. The 25 pilots should be spot on with the air screws at 2.5 out.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts