Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through countless threads on other sites....but what would be the best setup for trails, not mx and not dunes.

22/7/10 Razr II's and 22/11/9 Razr II's out back?
22/7/10 Razr II's and 20/11/9 Razr II's out back?

Or go Holeshot route:

Xct or Xcr which is better? Need a 6-ply!
Or if Rockymountain has holeshot HD's in stock do a 22/7/10 Razr II up front and a 20/11/9 HD out back?
23/7/10 up front with a 22/11/9 rear?

I have a 12/13/14/15 tooth front sprockets so gearing isnt an issue.
I dont want it looknig like a 4x4 at all, its a raptor....should look fast sitting still. 8)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am running 22" Razor II's front and rear with a 12 tooth sprocket and am real happy with it. I think the Razors hold up better than Holeshots.
:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
First let's break this down into it's component questions;

Which tires do I want, and what size?

The RAZR 2 and Holeshot HD are both big, heavy, knarly tires for sloppy gncc type terrain.
The XCT is a cross country tire that's the least aggressive and designed to be very tall.
The XCR is more aggressive than the XCT with an emphasis on dryer terrain , but designed to be shorter and sportier.

Now if you go with a 20" rear tire, it's best to get a 21" front. If you have a 22" rear, it's better with the 23" front. All of this simply because suspension geometry is supposedly designed with the staggered tire size in mind.\

Personally my next set of trail tires will be 23f/22r simply because of the ground clearance issue. I however don't get enough time on my bike for the nuances between tires to matter to me, so my next set will be the the thrifty Kenda Knarly rear and a front yet to be determined.

If your aim is to blast through the trails like you're bill ballance taking every corner as fast as the laws of physics allow, you're probably better off with the 21f/20r setup which will be lighter and sportier. If you're concerned about messy/sloppy terrain and need grip and ground clearance then go with either the RAZR2 or HD in the 23/22 setup. For a sporty but not race-type ride and fewer worries over rocks and other hazards opt for the 23/22 XCT. For more ground clearance without giving away to sidewall flex (basically a racing ride with a little more insurance against sprocket destruction) look at the XCR. Now if you like the tire attributes but want something lighter and sportier, get a smaller size. If you like the sportiness of the tire but want some extra cushion, get the taller sizes.

Now I won't clutter this up with personal opinions on the tires themselves. They're all good in my mind, each with their own drawbacks. I'd suggest listening to the members who've owned these tires for some time and going from there. I've had experiences with many of these, but those experiences are limited so my opinions aren't terribly useful here.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I've had razor 2 22" rears- 23" fronts, holeshot HD 20"rears-21" xcrfronts, and a set of rear XCR 20"-xcr fronts (same as mentioned before). the grip of the razor 2's were unbelievable in mud, but you could really feel the weight when jumping, and the handling didn't feel as good. the xcr rears were an all around good tire, like a better stock tire (little thicker). The 20" Holeshot HDs were the best in my opinion for the rear, and the 21"xcr fronts were nice n' light with good grip in the front. The bigger 23" razor fronts made steering a little more difficult/ handling not as good, but gripped the best. Like maddog said its all about what kind of riding your looking to do. I myself am back to a brand new set of 700r tires f/r because I couldn't pass up the $35 a tire deal :lol: plus I sold the razor 2's and wore down the other 2 sets.
If you do go to a bigger set of tires don't foget it changes your gearing, you might want to go to a smaller front sprocket than what you have on now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.