Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know where i can get an aftermarket one way starter gear? also, if anyone has an idea of how much it might run me. Any info is a big help... thanks. Feel free to email me @ [email protected].

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Just the 52 tooth gear, or the entire starter one-way clutch assembly?

Welcome to the forum!

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
You haven't described what is wrong, how can I have an opinion? You asked for a source for 'one way starter gear'... seldomly does one need to replace just the gear, ergo my question. Actually the converse is usually true - one MUST replace the one-way clutch, and THEN, if the gear has damage on the surface that mates with the clutch, it needs to be replaced too... do you see my confusion?

Let's start over. What are your symptoms?

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Okay, first let's get the vernacular straight. What is slipping is the starter one-way clutch. The clutch sprags grab a face on the 52 tooth gear. When the clutch starts to fail, the starter will not always engage and turn the engine over.

When the slipping has gone on for too long, the face on the 52 tooth gear gets damaged also and will need to be replaced too.

What you need is the L&A aftermarket one-way kit with the 52 tooth gear (if it shows damage when you get to it). The kit is about $250 with the gear, $180 or so without, if I recall. You cand find them on ebay. Just search for L&A or Raptor starter clutch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
starting over. my 02 660 raptor doesn't start. starter spins but doesn't engage. had grinding sound at some starts . now only have starter spining

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
LOL, we're out of phase in our responses... I answered you on the previous post.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Replace the gear, I don't know of many, or any really, that were sorry they did. I do know of a few that were quite sorry they didn't. If it's gotten bad enough you deem it ready to replace the one-way then chances are the gear is too.

If you don't mind the downtime, you can always tear it apart first and then buy the new parts after you've had a chance to look at the gear.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
I agree with MD - most of the time, the gear's face has been damaged by the failing one-way clutch.

But if cost is your primary issue, take everything apart and inspect the sprag bearing face of the 52T gear before buying replacement parts. Unless it is smooth as a baby's butt - no pitting, scratches, etc., replace it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts