Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to ask, but I wanted to get some input from you folks. Back in '05 I bought my '05 Polaris Scrambler. At the time, I was considering a Raptor, but really wanted a 4 wheel drive - so I went with the scrambler - which was the sportiest machine out there that had 4 wheel drive.

Well, now I hardly ever need / use the 4 wheel drive - so Im thinking of ways to get a raptor without breaking the bank. I stumbled on to a guy a few hours north of here selling his '03 600r SE for 4,000. He is also considering trades. So I emailed him and talked to him about trading my scrambler for his raptor. He is in need of cash (thus selling his raptor), but wants to have a quad - so he is looking to get $500 on top of the trade.

I havent seen the bike in person yet, but wanted to get your thoughts on this trade. Both bikes are close in value to each other, but the $500 skews that a bit. Do you guys think I should do it or just stick with what I have? (Im sure Ill get a biased reply to that loaded question ;) ... but I asked) What should I look out for in the '03 660R when I do go look at it? Any common problems / issues that I might run into that are not cheaply resolved?

Another kicker is he has ran nitrous on it (I dont know what kit etc yet), he claims its only been 10 runs on it etc. He says its always been trail riding, and never to the dunes. He states the bike is in excellent condition and has no current known problems.

There are some pics posted with his add over at http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=1106664

Soooo what say you?

Thanks for any advice.

P.S. Dracus sucks :grin_nod: :grin_nod: ;) ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
well, i got an 05 raptor last year and i love it! It is super agile, compared to the scrambler. My friend has one, and it is a tank compared to the raptor. I really do like the scrambler too. But i would rather have the raptor. I think you would have more fun on it. I am not too familiar with raptors other than mine, so i wouldn't know of any problems. I am sure you will get a lot of useful feedback here.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stumper said:
4000 sounds a bit high for a 03 thats sipped a little NOS. Where you from? I would sell my 05 for 4700 cash.
Well - the problem is I dont want to spend 4,000$, but a trade is workable for my scrambler. Cant have them both :(

I live out in Utah.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question - that I cant find the answer to with the search feature.....

Does anyone make snow blades / plows for raptors? (dont hate me for it =P ). I currently have one for my Scrambler, but would like the Raptor for the dunes, but really need a way to plow the driveway. I think if the raptor can do it i'll be getting one.

It isnt hardcore snow plowing so it shouldnt hurt anything - as long as I can get one to hook up. I would guess I could adapt the mount bracket that my scrambler uses for the raptor with a little fabrication.....

Anyone have one for their raptor?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Honestly you are probably better off selling the Scrambler outright and paying cash for a raptor that hasn't huffed the giggle gas. That one looks ok, but for starters it's not really an SE since the frame is silver (SE's have black frames/a-arms). So that means the plastic has been changed which makes me wonder about the claim of low hours. And if the plastic was changed, why? Was it wrecked? Maybe just hammered? Who knows, but trading your '05 plus cash for an '03 of questionable condition doesn't sound like a good deal.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
id like to see the trails hes riding.....using the juice on trails sounds pretty crazy

·
Registered
206 Posts
im with fastfirstgen, what kind of trails need NOS. the different plastics are prolly from wrapping it around a tree.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I offered the guy 3200 for it and never heard back from him..... then I stumbled on to a '06 700 for $5500 that had 10 hours on it (literally) and is in mint condition...... so I bought it =P

I think I got a good deal.

Thanks for all the help you guys! The feedback received here and through PMs helped me get the right bike I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
That was a good decision. Russ made some good points about the plastic... $4000 for a bike of questionable origins, use, wear is a little high. The 700 will rip and be pretty dependable.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
NVMYZ28 said:
P.S. Dracus sucks :grin_nod: :grin_nod: ;) ;)
Oh snap I didn't even notice this thread. You can't be going around talking trash when I'm not even reading your posts :p

That looks like a pretty slow f-body in the background.

·
Registered
206 Posts
yea raptor are not the toy to have in snow. i tried pulling a small carhood behind mine and i just went in circles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts