Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,509 Posts
I've never seen you recommend the yamaha piggybacks, just curious as to exactly why you prefer the Elka over the OEM stuff.

All four of my Yamaha's came with factory piggybacks. The fronts were overly stiff and somehow managed to bottom out on baby stuff, and the rear shocks would attempt to kill me by not tracking straight and/or bucking me off the pegs. I spent more money by being cheap one time due to revalve testimonials on the forums and ended up dissatisfied. I wont make that mistake again even though they're better than the stock setup. I have used Custom Axis, Elka, PEP, and Fox in the past on different builds and Motowoz on my last two Yamaha builds.. I became a shock snob within the last 24 years of riding. I didn't care as much when I was younger if it held together and didn't create problems. Now, I know what a good setup rides like and don't want to bruise up my body by being cheap... lol

· Registered
82 Posts
All four of my Yamaha's came with factory piggybacks. The fronts were overly stiff and somehow managed to bottom out on baby stuff, and the rear shocks would attempt to kill me by not tracking straight and/or bucking me off the pegs. I spent more money by being cheap one time due to revalve testimonials on the forums and ended up dissatisfied. I wont make that mistake again even though they're better than the stock setup. I have used Custom Axis, Elka, PEP, and Fox in the past on different builds and Motowoz on my last two Yamaha builds.. I became a shock snob within the last 24 years of riding. I didn't care as much when I was younger if it held together and didn't create problems. Now, I know what a good setup rides like and don't want to bruise up my body by being cheap... lol
Fair enough, figured you had a good reason. Hopefully I don't end up disliking my rebuilt OEM shocks lol. My skill level is probably nowhere near yours, so hopefully I won't experience any of those negative things you mentioned. Right off the bat the static sag is waaaaay low, so I'll have to do some cranking on the preload to get it into spec.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts