Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't ridden off road in quite a few years, and just got a 2007 Raptor 700 GYTR. The guys I ride with have KTMs and Rangers and like the hard stuff.

A lot of where we ride has whoops, and I would like to get the front end up to smooth out the ride. I'm NOT a wheelie hound, I just want to be able to nail it and not get slapped around so much. I added rear compression to it this weekend and that seemed to help a little. I still have the stock tires; Could that be part of the problem?

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
Does the gytr just have regular coil overs right ? you can mess around w/ your compression disc below the coil springs....i don't believe they are set to the stiffest or softest setting now, I have the SE so my shocks are diff and they are what i'm familiar with. Whoops do suck so i hear what ur sayin

·
Registered
994 Posts
Nice choice on the ride man.

I have no idea on the whoops. I heard the Outlaw pretty much sucks going over them. It likes to buck in the rear is what they say.

So you're already better than I am. :lol: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gave it more compression, but did not mess with the rebound. I don't really feel like stiffening up the spring (yet). I know this thing spins the tires easily, so maybe once I burn these off I'll get something with some grip! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I stand and lean back as far as I can and gas it. This keeps the front end light. I was supprise how well it rode over the whoops. I ride out in Johnson Valley in So Cal which has lots of Desert Races so most of the Trails are heavily whooped out.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The geometry of the 700 gives the quad a low center of gravity - lower than the 660 if you were used to those - so you need to lean back a bit further than you might think.
It's kind of like wheelies, seems "harder" to do on a 700 until you practice a bit. Then you end up asking how to keep the nose down. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
454 Posts
what kind of tire pressure do you have. you might have too much in there causing it to spin the wheels instead of biting. when i ride at ocottillo i put 8 pounds in the rear and it gives the tires bite. also there is a lever on your right hand side of your handle bars. use that lever out at oco speed if your friend, and worst enemy. make sure your standing up and keep the rpm's up and the bike then you can lean back and just blip the throttle when you get in the rythym. takes practice but you dont have to have the front end way up off the ground. its all about momentum and rythym

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like I said, I have been riding street for the past several years and have lost my off-road rythm. I am running the stock 4 lbs all around. Should I run a little higher? I notice that I am spinning the tires quite a bit of the time. I try to let it rev out more, but it spins the skins so much.

I stand up most of them time, because we ride mostly hard pack and it beats you up. I'll try leaning back more. As for the 'blip of the throttle,' I'm usually between 3rd and 4th (usually 4th) and got it boned out. I try to give it a blip and it doesn't get her up. Do I need a little clutch?

I'll be out at Ocotillo Wells this weekend, so I'll try a little more air and leaning back.

·
Registered
454 Posts
i wouldnt try clutching it. when i come into whoops i have the rpms really high like its time to upshift. as you go into the whoops your rpms and your speed will slow down naturally because of the terrain change. so when your in third just leave it there. lean way back. i can usually feel the back of my knee riding on my rear fender. i lean way back. then keep blipping the throttle and it will keep the r's high. everytime you blip it, it should lift the front end enough to glide over the whoops. try coming into a whoop section in a low gear and low rpms and see what happens. you'll get all tossed around and beat up, because when you hit the throttle nothing will happen. then you will know when your doing it right or not. it takes practice but youll get it. 4 seems kinda low too me but then again you might be better at dodging those ocotillo rocks than i am. i think the main thing you need to work on is your body position and rythym, its nnot the bike. just work on your technique. i have been riding ocotillo since i was a kid and i still get bucked around occasionally out there

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome san-d-eggo, thanks for the tips.

As for dodging the rocks, I'm not always successful. I got smart right away and bought a full Pro Armor kit, including the radiator shield. Luckily, they are one of our customers and very close to work, so I got a deal and picked them up at the factory!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I swapped the stock rear tires and ran them backwards. I also bumped them up from the stock 4psi to 8, and that made a difference.

san-d-eggo, I took your advice and nailed it. That did make a big difference, but you really have to keep the speed up! I guess I need to work on my talent now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks you guys,..and here i thought all my "rythym" had gone out of my "rythym hopping" when I went to 4 wheels,...yeah baby,..I'm tryin the 8 lbs.......I can float from one, skip one with front tires, to the next, but I always slow down, (too scared to actually rythym hop it yet),...I'll try this,.....thanks guys

·
Registered
379 Posts
tbrown68 said:
Well, I swapped the stock rear tires and ran them backwards. I also bumped them up from the stock 4psi to 8, and that made a difference.

san-d-eggo, I took your advice and nailed it. That did make a big difference, but you really have to keep the speed up! I guess I need to work on my talent now.
I would have thought that upping the tyre pressure would increase the "bounce" effect whereas lower pressure would absorb the whoops making them easier to ride :3question:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would have thought that upping the tyre pressure would increase the "bounce" effect whereas lower pressure would absorb the whoops making them easier to ride :3question:
[/quote]

I should have only tried one thing at a time. I swapped the tires and increased the pressure at the same time, and then went out. I would think that running lower pressure would give me a bigger contact patch and, thus, better traction. I think you might be right about the "bounce" effect.

It's toward the end of the season here, but I think I'll play with the pressure a little more. ITP is VERY close to where I work, so I told them where I ride and asked them which tires would work the best. I am going with the GNCCs when my stockers wear out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.