Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I am new to this site and I thank anyone and everyeone that replies in advance. I recently got this bike off a trade and took it in to the dealership and they did a compression test and said that the piston rings were bad and more than likel the cylinder itself was ok. They wanted $800 to fix it. I had some free time and Ive turned the wrench a few times so I decided to tackle the job. I bought oem parts for a top end repair, piston, rings, gasket etc. I got it took apart and this is what Ive found. My guess is that the valves need to be replaced by looking at them in the picture, as well as the cylinder is scuffed and needs to be honed. However this is mostly what ive gathered by reading forums. I would like to fix my bike right but at the sametime I would like to go the cheapest route. What would you guys suggest that route would be. If I need to bore this cylinder, where do I go to go about that? do I need a bigger piston and rings? what size should I get? etc. Thanks guys.

Photos:
http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa411/groundzero191/

·
Registered
191 Posts
How did the rod look when you took the wrist pin out? You may need a crank to.
Besides inexpensive, what are your goals as far as power and whats your riding style. That will help to get some specifics...

On another note, fixing the engine as cheap as you can won't be good enough, you'll want more power or something. Just get out while you can...j/k

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
It will probably be cheaper to buy another used 102mm cylinder. I don't think you can hone these cylinders much as they are plated. You can get OEM cylinders at a good price on here. I might even be selling one here soon to. Get some new valves and have them installed and have the head decked as it looks like it had a bad head gasket. New timing chain and as long as you crank isn't messed up you should be good. Also just a FYI nothing is "cheap" in this hobby:rofl: It will be a money pit for sure. Spyder is right after you start you can't stop...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I went around today talking to yamaha and a machine shop. Yamaha did says it could be honed up to 200th of an inch however then the cost of a sleeve and so on and so forth. I decided Ill just buy another cylinder and put this other one on ebay in case someone else wants to mess with it. Im just not getting back into riding I havent rode in a while. I traded a broke down 1989 jeep for this bike so I only have about $950 in it as of now before buying any of this new stuff. I just want it to run lol. Ive only got to ride this thing for about 30 min until the sparkplug fouled out. I will be looking for a new cylinder on ebay shortly for that fix. A local cycle shop said they would change the valves out for $60. So my next question is should I just change the seals or change out springs and everything? Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Since its apart, yes on the seals. When you get a top end rebuild kit it will come with what you need. If you're looking at the cheapest way to get it running and are adamant about not spending a ton of money in the future, then get the head taken care of as you planned, new cylinder and piston and you're done...as long as the crank looks okay!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Most of us pull perfectly good parts and replace them with upgrades. Here is a golden opportunity to pull bad parts and upgrade them... which actually makes more sense. Its certainly worth doing then enjoying the benefits.

Call High Desert Dyno and the Tech Quad Shop. They have great stuff at great prices and they can get you on the right mod path.

·
Registered
156 Posts
man just get a refund on your parts and go with a 734 trinity kit. you will get your cylinder,piston,rings,gaskets and all the parts you need. You will need to map up for your ad ons but it will be more fun to ride and have lots of power so your not banging gears all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts