Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I just bought an 03 raptor 660r that has been sitting in a yard for the last three years. it hasnt moved or been started for quite some time and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to bring it back to life? I have done the obvious things like getting rid of the old gas in the tank, charging the battery and putting in a new spark plug. havent tried to turn it over yet though, I wanna make sure everything is in running order first. any advice would be appreciated!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
hey I just bought an 03 raptor 660r that has been sitting in a yard for the last three years. it hasnt moved or been started for quite some time and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to bring it back to life? I have done the obvious things like getting rid of the old gas in the tank, charging the battery and putting in a new spark plug. havent tried to turn it over yet though, I wanna make sure everything is in running order first. any advice would be appreciated!
One area you should check is the carbs, if the bike has sat that long, the carbs will be dirty with varnish from old gas............
The best way is to dismantle them and clean them properly.........or install all new main jets and pilot jets..........

·
Registered
164 Posts
One area you should check is the carbs, if the bike has sat that long, the carbs will be dirty with varnish from old gas............
The best way is to dismantle them and clean them properly.........or install all new main jets and pilot jets..........
+1 - I've let mine sit (unwinterized) for one winter and had carb problems. If it has sat for years, the carbs need to be completely gone through. I'd also probably change the fluids (oil and antifreeze).

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i bought a 660 last fall for the ol' lady. same story with it.....sat for 2-3 years and needed a little TLC. the carbs we a big problem. i had to go as far as stripping the insulation off of a small electrical wire (like speaker wire) and running it through the fuel passages. i soaked alot of the parts in carb cleaner. do yourself and get a carb kit so you can replace all the gaskets, orings, and the like.

your battery will most likely be shot too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts