Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started doing more than just trail riding and rolling fast over the top of dunes and have come to the conclusion that my size 12 feet need more to stand on than just the half-inch wide stock foot pegs. I'm guessing this is exactly why nerf bars were invented (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I've searched through many threads with the words "nerf bars" in them and most seem to contain information about looks. I'm looking for information as to what is important in nerf bars and what to avoid: "I wish I would have known that before buying mine"-regrets you wish you would have been able to avoid when you started down the modification trail. Ultimately I'll use that information to purchase a set of nerf for one of my '06 SEs - if those are what I really need.

I'm 6'4", weigh 260 pounds and wear size 12 boots. I plan on loosing some weight but would want nerfs that can support me regardless. Looks are important in that I don't want my quad to look goofy but functionality is most important.

Any help would be appreciated.

G

·
Don't buy moose nerfs!!! There is a rather enormous space between the webbing and bike... I'm 5'10" and 220lb - I've ridden a bike w/ the GYTR nerfs and they are rock solid!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm you're exact size...and I'm going with AC Blacklines. I've heard they are a bit tougher to install then some others, but I like the fact that the netting actually goes under the pegs all the way back to the heel stop which means that mud that normally will cake and start piling up on stock heel guards, and many aftermarkets one will not with the AC's since its netting and will allow the mud to fall through easier.

the Nerfs really dont have to hold you're full weight since you arent standing on the netting for extended periods of time while riding. Maybe just for the once in a while slip off the pegs while riding. My main concern is if the Ac's will be able to hold up to taking a bashing of rocks from the underside...and just stopping my foot from touching the ground or rear tire incase i slip off the pegs

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
In my opinion, ProArmor makes the best nerf bar. They do have a set that has the larger and longer peg (Pro-Peg) too. Mine where easy to install. The Nerfs they make for the 700 are sweet. I bought the nerfs with the built in heel guard to get rid of the cheap looking plastic crap the factory puts on.

~Brian

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I would definately go with a Pro-peg Design in either AC or Pro-Armour. :thumbsup:

My AC's were not hard to install, you just usually have to do a little prying to get the last bolt to line up but wasnt any big deal. It is also really rocky were we ride and they have held up great no dents at all. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
596 Posts
i have the DG fat series. as for the look part goes they are kinda beefy but they still look good. the performance part i think there great. many of times have i banged and slammed into rocks, trees, etc and not even a dent. finally as the sturdyness goes its a pretty solid bar. all IMO

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is why I love this place - not even 15 minutes after posting and there are already replies ... good ones too.
Do nerf bars stick out much from the sides of the quad and interfere with navigating through the woods? One of the closest places for me to ride (Tahuya) can get pretty tight at times.
Should I be concerned about the netting getting snagged on roots, rocks and small stumps as I slide over them?

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
They sit a little higher than your chassis so going over stuff doesnt usually affect them.

And they are (AC anyway) just a tad narrow than your rear wheels so if your a$$ fits through the trees they will lol :thumbsup:

·
Registered
596 Posts
mine dont. the front tires look about a inch or two outside the bar.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Ive run my Pro Armor in some tight terrain also, including 2 XC Races so far, im impressed with them and they look great, install wasnt anything mind boggling either

·
Registered
596 Posts
i think installin the webbin took more time than actually puttin them on

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
lowridin88 said:
Pro armor here.. very satisfied! :thumbsup:
Me 2, very satisfied. Nerf bars protect you in many ways...incase of tip over, most of the time as long as your ATV isn't in a serious barrel roll, the nerfs will right your ATV "place it back on its wheels" and no further damage will happen...incase of other riders happen to colide with you, there is no chance of their tires gettin entangle with yours with nerfs.

The Pro Armors Pro Pegs are the cat's meow of nerfs...Pro Armor uses thicker tubing, than most other manufacturers, but still are very light...fitment is practically like a hand in glove, fit. You can't go wrong, by purchasing the Pro Amors! Go an get yourself some and you will soon see, what we Pro Armor owners have experienced, by owning them.

Additionally, I feel the same way about the plastic heel gaurds that Yamaha gave you, these things just suck! Also, whY the hell does GYT-R make their nerf bars that does not incorporate a heel gaurd with the nerfs....this just doesn't make practical sense, the only reason I see that they do it, is to make you the customer buy two differnt products, for GYT-R to make more money...the hell with this, I got the nerfs with the heel gaurd incorporated with the nerfs!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
SEVEN00 said:
lowridin88 said:
Pro armor here.. very satisfied! :thumbsup:
Me 2, very satisfied. Nerf bars protect you in many ways...incase of tip over, most of the time as long as your ATV isn't in a serious barrel roll, the nerfs will right your ATV "place it back on its wheels" and no further damage will happen...incase of other riders happen to colide with you, there is no chance of their tires gettin entangle with yours with nerfs.

The Pro Armors Pro Pegs are the cat's meow of nerfs...Pro Armor uses thicker tubing, than most other manufacturers, but still are very light...fitment is practically like a hand in glove, fit. You can't go wrong, by purchasing the Pro Amors! Go an get yourself some and you will soon see, what we Pro Armor owners have experienced, by owning them.
Definitly, very well said.. My first set of nerfs on a bike, but i could definitly tell they were the nicest ones... Best looking in my opinion

·
Registered
689 Posts
I personally have seen the pro armor nerfs structuraly fail. They started bending behind the foot peg, where the heel guards begin. They just kept bending till the finally broke off. I don't know if they couldn't handle a size 14 boot or just got a bad pair of bars, but wanted to chime in cause i know you said you had a big foot as well. I have run the AC blacklines for about 8 months now, alot of tight trail riding, hitting trees, rocks etc. ( i actually will use them to make a sharp turns around trees somtimes by bumping them, it messes up the powder coat up, but it gets me through). I have only had one instance when they collected a ridiculous amount of mud. It was that thick heavy mud that just stuck to everything. But by grabbing the netting and shaking the hell outta them they cleared pretty easy.
As far as them being tough to install, alot of people just put them on and start tightening up bolts as they go. Instead try installing them with all the hardware lose. After every thing is on and lined up, then tighten all the hardware seems to go easier with that method.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you have a smaller budget I would suggest the Tusk Nerf Bars. They are an easy install and mold very nicely to the stock heel guards. I only way about 160 but they support me very well. I have yet to have any structural problems with them yet. I saw what vanillagorilla was talking about at my last XC race it ended up ripping everything off nerfs, heelguard, and footpeg on the riders shifter side.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i broke two sets of tusk nerf bars there built very cheap im going to buy pro armor next.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Has anyone with the Pro Armors notice that the heel guard part of the nerfs collect a lot of mud and the mud really doenst have anyplace to go...kind of like the stockers?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I love my AC pro pegs and would not of gone any other way. Their products are sometimes hard to install but never that bad and I have had tons of their stuff over the years without a single problem ever. I have bottomed out one time coming off a jump and landed on a pile or rocks. The nerfs were hit hard and I thought for sure they would be ruined but all they got were a few deep scratches. I was very impressed. 8)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.