Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
02 raptor 686 k&n lexx exhaust
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So quad was running perfectly fine, all day. besides the spark plug wire coming loose from routing the cable wrong. But anyway after a day of riding went to hop on it again and no start. usually get the neutral light but noticed it randomly not coming on. But back to the starting issue, when i go to start i get a buzzing sound from what i found to be the neutral relay, i tapped on the starter solenoid see if it did anything and nada, still the little neutral relay is the only thing buzzing. checked battery voltage thinking maybe it was dead but was at 12.9

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It actually went from buzzing on push start button. To actually buzzing even when I turn the on/off switch to on. If I go from off to on it buzzes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You need a good multimeter, a wiring schematic, and patience.

The simple place to start, your start button could be doing a slight short. It might be going bad, with a small bit of constant contact/current in it. At the same time, it might be burnt and not make enough contact to send the current to start. Pull that plug first and test for continuity.

Edit: relays go bad. The start relay might also be burning out. Contacts in relays can build up and start to bridge the gap, or not engage enough to pass full current.

Are you working on a 350 or a 660? These electronics are basically the same, just noticed your signature.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need a good multimeter, a wiring schematic, and patience.

The simple place to start, your start button could be doing a slight short. It might be going bad, with a small bit of constant contact/current in it. At the same time, it might be burnt and not make enough contact to send the current to start. Pull that plug first and test for continuity.

Edit: relays go bad. The start relay might also be burning out. Contacts in relays can build up and start to bridge the gap, or not engage enough to pass full current.

Are you working on a 350 or a 660? These electronics are basically the same, just noticed your signature.
for the raptor 350, got it a couple months ago and have been getting random stuff stopping it from working and this is the latest. quad worked fine and ran great for a couple hours, and than all of sudden went to hop on it and it did the buzz. RMStator makes a relay for less than $20 so ordered a new one.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got the relay in today and not getting anything now. no nuetral light either.
would a bad kill switch cause these issues??? headlights dont turn on either.

·
Administrator
9,550 Posts
Remove the kill switch and confirm there is no corrosion in there.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
was reading up articles today, is the kill switch is a ground itself??? upon brief inspection, not seeing any stripped wires or any loose connections, none of the lights work, and nuetral light also isn't working.
took the switch out today and was pretty dirty inside, went ahead and ordered a new one, from amazon should be here tomorrow,so i can rule that out of the way.

last weekend was my first initial ride with her since i got it was fixing a couple things, grips, rebuilt carb, replaced stator, swing arm adjusters, little things previous owner neglected to keep up with. but she rides awesome when she's on and was using it for a good 4-6 hrs that day. i went to hop on it towards the end of our day and just got the click from the nuetral relay, thought it was the battery but showed charged. the click turned into multiple clicks before replacing the relay to now getting nothing at all. no nuetral light, no lights from the switch... which was why i suspected the on/off switch. but would that cut power to the whole bike???

any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just had an issue with mine today. The relay plug was loose and not making good contact. All the power to the multifunction switch and everything goes through it.

Power goes through the key switch. It then goes to everything else and the multi function switch(kill switch, lights, start button). The start button then powers the start relay(same 4 wire relay).

It's worth a check to see if that plug is loose, or if the terminals in it are bent open not making contact.

Here is the link to the wiring diagram. Wiring Diagram - Yamaha YFM350S Service Manual [Page 69]

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Change the on/off switch and nada. looked around didn't see anything loose. but no power at all. battery is at 11.7 little low but should still power up something.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was referring to the terminals that are in the plug for the relay(start/run with the fuse). If taken apart enough, they could loosen up and possibly not make solid contact. You can take it apart with a small pick. A new relay can still have the same problem, if the terminals in the plug are not making a good connection.

Patience with a good pick, or micro flat head, will get it apart. One wire at a time, and a gentle pinch with needle nose to make them fit tighter, could be the answer.

The plug should have some resistance going in. If it's loose and goes in with no effort, that could be the problem. It's a possibility

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was referring to the terminals that are in the plug for the relay(start/run with the fuse). If taken apart enough, they could loosen up and possibly not make solid contact. You can take it apart with a small pick. A new relay can still have the same problem, if the terminals in the plug are not making a good connection.

Patience with a good pick, or micro flat head, will get it apart. One wire at a time, and a gentle pinch with needle nose to make them fit tighter, could be the answer.

The plug should have some resistance going in. If it's loose and goes in with no effort, that could be the problem. It's a possibility
just from visual inspecting, feeling around, didn't notice anything loose. i'm off tomorrow, so gonna start disconnecting the wiring see if i find anything exposed. most of the wires tuck under the airbox so i have to take that out. not sure if mine has the old style fuse on the line but will find out tomorrow. since i am getting zero power.

·
Registered
171 Posts
just from visual inspecting, feeling around, didn't notice anything loose. i'm off tomorrow, so gonna start disconnecting the wiring see if i find anything exposed. most of the wires tuck under the airbox so i have to take that out. not sure if mine has the old style fuse on the line but will find out tomorrow. since i am getting zero power.
I’d be using a volt ohm meter. Visual inspections don’t show resistance. I am referring to electrical ohm resistance not mechanical resistance. Put a charger on the battery to get the voltage up and see if that makes a difference. I’ve seen many batteries that had voltage but not enough amps to power anything.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Started with disconnecting the battery and looking over all the plugs. Found this on the starter solenoid plug. Anyway to replace the plug?? Or where can I order one

update: found a replacement plug on amazon that says its for a yfz450 but someone commented that it worked for their 660, so ordered it and will confirm if it fits on the 350.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's the one I was talking about. One of those wires feeds everything up front. And yes, the ones from Amazon for the YFZ450 fit. Its the same plug.

There isn't aftermarket headlights or other accessories tied into the factory wires up front, is there? Make sure there isn't 55w headlight bulbs, or anything extra feeding from the stock harness. Like I said, 1 small wire feeds from that plug up to the front to power everything.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's the one I was talking about. One of those wires feeds everything up front. And yes, the ones from Amazon for the YFZ450 fit. Its the same plug.

There isn't aftermarket headlights or other accessories tied into the factory wires up front, is there? Make sure there isn't 55w headlight bulbs, or anything extra feeding from the stock harness. Like I said, 1 small wire feeds from that plug up to the front to power everything.
plug should be here tomorrow.
the black with red wire, when i pulled the harness out looked like that wire wasn't pushed in all the way, the harness almost looks like it was melted, or corroded but kept breaking into pieces, inside looked like the cables could have possibly been making contact, and the fuses on the solenoid were super brittle.

·
Registered
171 Posts
the harness almost looks like it was melted, or corroded
You have something downstream of that plug that is drawing too many amps or the connection at the plug was causing excessive amps to be pulled thru the plug, causing the heat. Something to look for after you wire in the new harness and plug (once you get it going I would feel the plug to see if it's hot).

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got the new plug into, swapped everything out and still not getting any power.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
definitely, printed out the "electrical starting system" pages and going at it with the multimeter soon as i get a chance

1 - 20 of 33 Posts