Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this is my first post - thanks for having me!

My good friend has been trying to get me into raptors for a while so I finally bought one. It's 2001 660, the guy was asking $3,000.00 but I gave him $2,500.00. He did quite a bit of work to it, has all the upgrades, lowered, etc... Starts right up. The only thing that was wrong with it and I didn't notice until I got it home is that the headers studs for one of the exhaust flanges had come out, I had to retap the holes - fixed that no problem.

Lately, I've been noticing what sounds almost like a grinding sound coming from the bottom end when barely pressing the throttle at idle, goes away at higher RPMs. The bike is plenty strong but the bottom end is somewhat 'clanky' as I expected with a 20-year-old sports bike. I suspect the bottom end may have some issues. A guy messaged me on Facebook a while back and said "he knew the bike" and that the guy sold it because the bottom end was going to go soon.

What am I look at for a rebuild, if that's the case? I have a full garage and work on cars, any good write-ups, or tutorials? Difficulty level if I do it myself?

Or should I just buy a reman engine and swap it out? Want to keep riding the bike for a long time, it's a blast.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You should stop riding it now if the bottom end is bad, because if you don't, when it breaks, it's gonna cost Alot more to fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should stop riding it now if the bottom end is bad, because if you don't, when it breaks, it's gonna cost Alot more to fix.
Yeah, you're right. Since someone told me it's more than likely going out and now that it's making noise, might just have to part it.

Is a rebuild that difficult though?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I also wouldn't put in a new bottom end without doing the top end too.
And, 2001's are prone to 2nd gear slipping, and need the transmission gears undercut to fix that($300-$400 for a machine shop to do that).
Even if 2nd doesn't slip now, no way I'de spend total engine rebuild money and not do that.
These engines are expensive to completely rebuild.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yeah, you're right. Since someone told me it's more than likely going out and now that it's making noise, might just have to part it.

Is a rebuild that difficult though?
How hard a rebuild is depends on your ability. But, if you can follow the service manual, have a couple specialty tools(flywheel puller, clutch basket holder, ring grinder, calipers/micrometer, etc), and the time, patience, and money, then no, it's not that difficult.
A full rebuild will easily cost more in parts and machine shop labor(trans undercut and valve job) than you have already spent in the whole machine.
You also run into what if the cam bearings are really worn(machined into head, not a seperate piece)and you need another head?
I'm not saying you do or will, but it would not be an uncommon added expense when rebuilding an old, high hour and/or hard use engine...especially if the bottom end is worn out(as the top end usually goes first).
I would price it all out, including anything else you may have had planned to do to it.
Then see if it's still worth your while.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How hard a rebuild is depends on your ability. But, if you can follow the service manual, have a couple specialty tools(flywheel puller, clutch basket holder, ring grinder, calipers/micrometer, etc), and the time, patience, and money, then no, it's not that difficult.
A full rebuild will easily cost more in parts and machine shop labor(trans undercut and valve job) than you have already spent in the whole machine.
You also run into what if the cam bearings are really worn(machined into head, not a seperate piece)and you need another head?
I'm not saying you do or will, but it would not be an uncommon added expense when rebuilding an old, high hour and/or hard use engine...especially if the bottom end is worn out(as the top end usually goes first).
I would price it all out, including anything else you may have had planned to do to it.
Then see if it's still worth your while.
Thanks for the info everyone. It's a cool bike, I don't mind getting it fixed it up, I really enjoy it. The previous owner did a really good job with the upgrades and it's a good looking bike. My buddy bought a brand new one (and he's financing it) by the time he's done paying it off hell probably have 13-14k in it with interest - so in comparison, if I can have it rebuilt or do it myself I could probably enjoy it for quite a while. I don't think I would want to spend over 3.5k in rebuilding it though. Its also leaking oil around the sprocket as well

I did find a website that offers rebuilt 660 engines with up to $900 for a core refund. They're asking $2749.99, so could only end up paying $1849.99.
Yamaha Raptor 660 01-05 Engine Motor Rebuilt

Not sure if anyone has had experience with that company.

But I also think rebuilding the engine could be a good learning experience as well

Here are a few pics:

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you can get a good completely remanufactured engine for under $2k, go for it, as you can't buy all the parts and machine work for that.
I think you could do it for under $3500 too

·
Registered
751 Posts
You'de also be amazed at how much cooler your right leg would be if you had the factory heat sheild on that stock header.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can get a good completely remanufactured engine for under $2k, go for it, as you can't buy all the parts and machine work for that.
I think you could do it for under $3500 too
Ideas on a good manual to follow or videos? How about a part list? Recommend rebuilt list with parts?

I agree about the header, the PO had it wrapped in header tape, had to remove it to retap header studs. Haven't put it back on yet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you think it sounds in this video?

wasn't making the "grinding" noise at low idle when I took the video though

·
Registered
751 Posts
How do you think it sounds in this video?

wasn't making the "grinding" noise at low idle when I took the video though
It's always hard to say how something sounds from a video.
I can't tell if there's a steady knock, or if it's just the exhaust note.

If, if, you Need a crank and rod, then it would be wise to do everything else, which would be; the transmission, clutch, piston and cylinder, valve job and cam, crank seals, valve guides, complete engine gasket kit, shifter and countershaft seals, bearings for trans, crank and counterbalancer, waterpump seal, and a timing chain would be definate.
Also considering other things that tend to break and can get expensive quick, like the plastic waterpump gear, a worn clutch basket, rubber intake boots and airbox tubes that dry rot and split, etc.
The age and condition means plan for the worst and hope for the best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
660 service manual is posted in the Stickies section of the 660, near the top of the page.
Awesome man! Thank You!

I just got off the phone with that company that sells rebuilt engines, they said they'd more than likely give me $900 for mine, so I'd be looking at $1800 for drop in rebuilt engine.

They said they also check all the transmissions gears as well. Doesn't seem to steep to me - Id then have a functional 660r for about $4300 that should last awhile

·
Registered
751 Posts
Awesome man! Thank You!

I just got off the phone with that company that sells rebuilt engines, they said they'd more than likely give me $900 for mine, so I'd be looking at $1800 for drop in rebuilt engine.

They said they also check all the transmissions gears as well. Doesn't seem to steep to me - Id then have a functional 660r for about $4300 that should last awhile
That is your best bet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just takes time and patience. I just rebuilt mine, tuning the carb at the moment waiting on some jets. I Used the manual and lookup motoesh on YouTube has a step by step except the head. I’m at a pinch over $3k but that includes upgrades and tools I needed to buy to do it myself. As well as new crank cases.

·
Registered
751 Posts
here is a better video of the strange noise:

let me know what you think:

I definately hear it now, but am not sure what it is.
It doesn't sound like rod knock.
I'de pull the flywheel cover and flywheel and clutch cover and search for something loose or making contact where it shouldn't.
You may get lucky and find it to be something simple.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice! Yeah, I never suspected it as knocking, its just a loud engine.

I changed the oil and soon after the sound started.

Thanks for that, That's what Ill do

1 - 20 of 26 Posts