Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Raptor Forum!

I just picked up my first Raptor from a neighbor who knew nothing about it. It was not running at the time but the price was right. It was described as a 2004 660R. Turns over just fine with the starter, but it had no spark. I noticed many frayed wires and a big break in the CDI box. Time for some parts!

I immediately stripped it down and found a bunch of small issues in the process. Now I can start rebuilding from the ground up with fresh parts where needed.

I could not get a compression reading since my compression tester (automotive) would not seat properly. It does seem in good shape though.

The bushings and bearings, on the other hand, are beat. While she's under the knife, I'll be replacing all of them front and rear, and fabricating whatever needs fabrication :D

Comments and tips are welcome! I'd LOVE to hear about a complete electronic overhaul for this thing! I saw some kits that included a CDI and coil, some programmable some not...

My plan is to get her back up and running in tip top shape asap.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Good luck and welcome, any questions you'll have will be answered usually within an hour. :wow:

·
Registered
521 Posts
a copper frame? 8)

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Project indeed ! :lol: Keep us posted, and like Tommy said, we'll try and get any questions answered in a timely manner :)

Welcome to the Forum :beer:

PS... I dig the copper !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Almost forgot- here's before the breakdown

Thanks very much for all the responses guys. How about a good cdi recommendation for a mildly upgraded 660? Here are the parts I know I need so far:

- swingarm or at least complete set of bearings
- axle
- front end bearings
- nerf net
- headlight
- hardware
- etc!

·
Registered
521 Posts
as wheel bearings and the rear axle bearings, take the old ones to a bearing shop and get them matched up with some skf/timken/etc bearings, theyll last much longer than the Chinese bearings found in the kits

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Almost forgot- here's before the breakdown

Thanks very much for all the responses guys. How about a good cdi recommendation for a mildly upgraded 660? Here are the parts I know I need so far:

- swingarm or at least complete set of bearings
- axle
- front end bearings
- nerf net
- headlight
- hardware
- etc!
Good luck and have fun..........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts