Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my names jim. I am new to the forum, new to raptors, and pretty new to the sport. I just sold a honda trx 250 ex, and bought an 03 raptor 660. I spent 1200, which I thought was a good deal??? Anyway, I noticed that there was a TON of slack in the chain, but I just figured I would adjust it at home. When I got home I googled how to adjust the chain on an 03 raptor, seemed easy. When I went to do it, this is what I found. What the hell do I do? I really hope this is an easy fix. One, no locknuts. Two, the adjustment bolt is not where it is supposed to be, it looks like the old one broke off in the hole. Adjusting these bolts did nothing to the crazy amount of slack in the chain. What do I do?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
If your out of adjustment and its still to loose then your gonna need a new chain. It must be way stretched. If the original bolt is broke off in the smingarm you could probably drill it out if you wanted to. If you want the jam nuts just take the bolts out and put a nut on each one. They aint that big a deal since the big bolts that go through cross ways hold it in place. The jam nut just keeps your bolts from falling out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi guys, my names jim. I am new to the forum, new to raptors, and pretty new to the sport. I just sold a honda trx 250 ex, and bought an 03 raptor 660. I spent 1200, which I thought was a good deal??? Anyway, I noticed that there was a TON of slack in the chain, but I just figured I would adjust it at home. When I got home I googled how to adjust the chain on an 03 raptor, seemed easy. When I went to do it, this is what I found. What the hell do I do? I really hope this is an easy fix. One, no locknuts. Two, the adjustment bolt is not where it is supposed to be, it looks like the old one broke off in the hole. Adjusting these bolts did nothing to the crazy amount of slack in the chain. What do I do?
Are you talking about the lock nuts on the right side of the carrier behind the rear disc, The one's that your suppose to tighten after adjusting the ones you took a picture of..... If so you need to get those nuts ( I believe there 17mm)
As for the adjustment screws... IN MY OPINION That screw in the middle certainly is better than nothing But will not keep the left side from moving. IN MY OPINION it acts as a pivot point which is no good. You can try to add another screw at least 1/2 an inch from the broken one OR try to remove the broken one with a screw extractor and plenty of PB penetrater to help loosen it Thats what I would do...
Maybe someone in this forum with more experience has a better idea.
Good Luck

Kinda posted this too late sorry

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Where can I buy one, how much will it cost, and will just drilling and tapping that old hole work?
where are you located? I have one I'll sell cheap but shipping might be crazy depending on where you are

·
Registered
538 Posts
First-Welcome to the forum, Second-Yes you do need a new swing arm and chain...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts