Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new axle today is there anything I need to know before I start tearing it a apart? I got new carrier bearings as well so I will be doing them at the same time. Is there any tricks to make it go smoother? I know to put the bearing in the freezer to install them. Thanks

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
It's pretty straightforward.. You'll most likely need to apply some heat here and there to take it all off. Also, be careful when wacking the old axle out if you plan on re-using it, the ends are pretty fragile so don't wack on the end or nut directly. The manual suggests using a socket on the threaded end.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where would I need to put some heat on it? and I have a new lonestar axle but i'll do my best to keep the ends good so I can resell it or keep it as a spare incase something happens.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Where would I need to put some heat on it?
My stock bearings failed pretty late, bike had like 5K miles. Everything was stuck... The main nut on the axle was impossible to move with a 6' breaker bar without applying heat. The axle was impossible to remove from the bearings, had to take the whole carrier out and press 'em out... The support for the rear caliper was also an issue, had to heat that.

You might not need it, but don't hesitate if things fail to move.

Also, wood on the end of the axle can still damage it. I crushed the end of mine the first time and had a hard time getting the nut back on. The best method is to use a socket on the end so you bash on the non-threaded part of the axle.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks guys. Everything is still working good I just got a new axle to make it wider. If I'm lucky everything will go smoothly if not I guess I'll get the torch out and heat it up a little and try again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts