Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry that im so new and needy already but im getting ready to pull the trigger on a 04 660...really don't have time to search the forum or research due to im at work and im going to look at it tommorow...basicly id like to know any common issues or problems with the 04's that I should look for or be aware of and need to look for...thanks in advance

·
Registered
145 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

The Raptors dont really have any issues after '02. The 01's had the tranny deal but that got fixed in 2002.

I just bought my 05 a week and a half ago and being without one for a few years (had an 01 back in the day...and yes the trans broke).

Just check out the plastic, look for oil leaks, check the tie rods for being bent (mine was), tires and wheels for punctures/dents, check under the seat, etc. If you can, its great if you can jack up the rear end and grab a tire to try and wiggle it to check the carrier bearings if they need to be replaced....you want it to be tight/no movement.

Other than that, just check the oil and ride it to make sure the gears and clutch work fine and make sure the reverse works as well. If you arent familiar with these things, put it in 1st gear..hold the clutch in and twist the knob up and hold it (right fender) and push down on the shifter for reverse.

Good luck !

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Just check the 10th digit on the vin to make sure its a 04. it is by the shifter on the frame. 04 is a good year, they update the one way bearing to a bigger size that hold up a little better then the 01-03 but its still not as good as a L&A one way:D. Just look it over real good. One thing I have noticed is that all my yamaha's have bent front rims. You can only tell this when riding them though.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Sorry that im so new and needy already but im getting ready to pull the trigger on a 04 660...really don't have time to search the forum or research due to im at work and im going to look at it tommorow...basicly id like to know any common issues or problems with the 04's that I should look for or be aware of and need to look for...thanks in advance
Assuming it's an 04 the previous owner most likely addressed the rev limiter problems most Raptors had. There are stickies and numerous threads regarding the reverse rev limiter and parking brake limiter. The next problem I had was the bike seemed to run very lean from the factory so jetting will be needed if you've stumbled onto a garage kept completely stock bike. I had an overheating problem with my 04 until I addressed the jetting and that seemed to clear it up but shortly after I developed the reverse rev limiter problem. Then I notice the starter was acting as if the battery was low and it was the red battery cable that runs to the solenoid that went bad...noticed it on 2 other Raptors also and replacing that cable on 3 04 models fixed the problem. If it has numerous hours on it then the carrier bearings seem to go first.
Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the replies....the othere reason i could not search was that i was on my phone...here is the deal im looking at

I have a 2004 Raptor 660- it has white plastics with a red frame and bomb squad graphics
-K&N air filter
-Durablue Heavy Duty Axel
-Newer front and rear tires-Bear Claws on back
-Nerf Bars
-Reverse
-Just had transmission redone by professional-Mike Shoumaker who use to be head mechanic at Mid-Ohio suzuki, yamaha, honda, ect.
-The only things wrong with it is that there are no rear breaks(easy fix) and some where in the choke cable its broke(easy fix)

i talked to the mechanic that did the work ask him if he knew of any issues with this bike..he said other than the brake and choke cable, the skid plate on the swing arm was missing and there was a broken tap(or mount) on the top of the engine,and that the exhaust had been welded up, he also said he checked out the engine and especially the top end was good and srong(said he checked the valves)...it comes with a new choke cable and a seat cover that need to be installed.

the guy said he had had it for 4 years and has used it stritly for trail riding(no racing)and has put maybe 200 hours on it, and he is the second owner

now with this info what would you think would be a good price...tell me what you think imm going to look at it in 12 hours with trailer and cash in hand

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i looked at 2 different raptors and they were both beat to shit...so i ended up getting (im probobly going to get lynched on here for saying this) i bought a 04 LTZ400 i couldnt pass it up it was a sweet bike for a sweet price...so i guess i need to sign up in a different forum..thanks for all the help and info guys

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
LTZ's are nice... ride well, reliable, relatively fast - you'll be happy with it. Just not as torquey as the Raptor - you can definitely tell the diff between the 400 and 660..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts