Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so it seems like "until I need to" has arrived. I am going to be attempting to swap out the piston on my bike with a stock size 11.5:1 piston that I ordered from TQS.

Any of you guys that have done this before have any suggestions or comments that I may find helpful? Any special tools required? I know ill need a ring compressor, what about a ring file?

Also was wondering what kinda power increase I will see with this mod.

The previous owner had the engine rebuilt with a JE stock replacement piston and told me it was dynoed at 61hp. This seems kinda high to me for the mods it has.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You don't need a ring compressor. The stock cylinder has a taper at the bottom that makes it easy without a ring compressor. You need a head gasket and a base gasket, loctite, and a torque wrench. Any small file will work to gap your rings. You will also need to replace your coolant.

·
Registered
366 Posts
As far as tips go...Download a manual and don't drop your cam gear bolts in your crankcase.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Got the torque wrench, loctite(RED), gaskets being sent from TQS as well. Will get coolant.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
When you install the wrist pin and C clip....put a rag under the piston so "when" I mean if you drop the clip it won't end up in the bottom of your motor...and for me it was easier to install one of the C clips on the piston first on the work bench, they are a PITA to get in. then you only have to fight one when its on the rod.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the service manual calls for a piston pin removal tool?

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts