Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum, i would like to say i have been reading through quite a few forums and you guys seem to be the ones to ask the questions.
I have a 2001 Raptor with a Yosh RS3 full system, KN air flow kit and jet kit, everything else is stock. I was thinking about upgrading the cam next, any thoughts on this, i am the papa of three so i really can't afford to go to like a 686 kit just yet, but would like to do some little things that will keep the teenagers honest ;).

I do have to reset the valves so i will be dismantling the bike and was hoping to do it as part of that.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome,
If you are looking for cam, you a few choices. Hot Cam is a popular brand. You can go stage 1 that will give you more bottom end or stage 2 that will give you more top end. with the stage 2 you will have to install stiffer valve springs if not your cam will lose contact with your valve at high RPM.
With what you have right now you should go stage 1.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
If you're already going to have the valves apart I'd get the valve spring kit. It may not be necessary with the more mild cams but they're certainly good to have even with a stock cam.

If you're looking for more power off idle and in the low to midrange go with the stage 1. Best for slower and more technical riding like rocky trails. If you're looking for more mid and top end power for those hill climbs, drag races, or trail riding faster than 15-25 mph the stage 2 might be more your cup of tea. The increase in power in the midrange and top end with the stage 2 may make the bottom end feel weak in comparison but much of that feeling is because you haven't dramatically increased low end power as much as the other sections of the rev range.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since i mostly enjoy the hill climbs in oregon dunes, I guess i am heading for a stage 2 cam with the valve spring kit. I see that Hot Cams was recommended, is there any others that should be considered and is there any specific valve spring kit that is a better brand than the next. My last question, i have been reading about higher compression pistons and with that comes higher octane gas, do i need to worry about any of that when we are just talking about a cam upgrade?

And thank you for your knowledge, it is certainly nice having so much experience on a website to tap into. :)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
no change of fuel is needed when dealing with the cam, although, a higher comp piston would be a nice complement to a stage 2 cam,..a 11:1 piston will let you run pump gas (premium). This will really help your quad out. If your looking bigger consider a 719 stroker kit.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I believe in the stage 2 hotcams and the 11:1 wiesco piston. Best bang for the buck. I will give you a heads up on the weak connecting rods. If you really want to make power I highly suggest the upgrades. I really dont think you will have any problems running the mentioned setup. Justmake absolutly sure the machine work is done correctly. If you dont have a shop that you can trust to bore/hone and resurface the head and cyclinder there are site sponsers here that can help you out.
Mike @ coalshedracing could get you set up reasonable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.