Raptor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a GYT-R clutch on my '01. I've never done one on a quad before, so I'm not sure if this is normal. I had trouble when I put the case on getting the pull rod to engage with the arm that connects the clutch cable to the case, so I took the screw out, pulled the arm out and finally got it to engage. My problem is that the clutch cable is at near max adjustment and its SO stiff that it almost hurts to pull the clutch lever in. It also seems to stay slightly engaged with the lever pulled in. I can put it in neutral and push it like it was nothing, i put it in gear, pull the clutch in and roll it, but it takes much more pushing to get it moving. I cant start it b/c I still have the carbs, air box, and sub frame apart. Can I attribute the stiffness to the new springs? Am I missing something? Any suggestions appreciated..

·
Registered
32 Posts
go here and look at the diagram

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/showschematic~dept_id~851357.asp

pull part number 26 of part number 20. and adjust it from there. that probably needs to be adjusted somewhere in the middle so that you have leeway to adjust the cable its self. springs shouldnt make the lever super hard to pull if there adjusted to spec which was like what 6 foot lbs? do you have them adjusted right? make sure you go easy on the break in time, let the clutch go through a few heat cycles to ensure it has a good breakin time. then go easy on it for awhile after break in. also makesure you break it in with a approved wet clutch oil to ensure you dont glaze the clutch over.

·
Registered
32 Posts
heres a copy and paste

I can swap a clutch on a street bike in 30 mins tops.

Print out this schemtic, it will help for reference.

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/showschematic~dept_id~851357.asp

Take your new fibers, and let them soak in fresh oil for at least an hour before installing them. I let mine soak for 24 hours before installation. Make note that some of your fibers are thicker than others. This is important as they go in certain locations.

I didn't know what year so I just picked 02. Are you gonna change the oil and filter? I would. If not, you'll have to put blocks under the right side wheels to tilt the bike to the left so the oil won't leak out.

Pull the cover, note if any of the cover bolts are longer than the others and where they came from.

Loosen and remove the bolts(#13) holding the springs (item #12) against the pressure plate (#11). Make sure to loosen them a little at a time so the pressure plate comes off evenly.

Behind the pressure plate there will be a washer (16) a thrust bearing (14) and a rod. Note how they come off, as they will need to go back together in the same order.

Now you can start removing your fiber plates and your steel plates. Stack these in the EXACT order you remove them.

Now take you fresh steels and fibers and start installing them in the clutch hub/basket assembly in the same order as you removed the old parts.

Once you are done, install the rod, thrust bearing and washer, then your pressure plate. Install the springs, and torque the bolts to spec if you know it. If you don't, call a dealer and find out.

Re-install the cover assy, with a new gasket if you were not able to salavge the old one.

Fresh oil and filter, fire up the bike and let it idle till warm. When you ready to ride, be easy on it and shift through the gears up and down. Shut the bike down and let if cool off. Should be ready to ride after that, but be easy on it for the first few hours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts