Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the new edition of DirtWheels , and they had a DVD in it from Polaris. It showed their whole line up of ATV's in it. There was a section on the DVD which put the new Outlaw with independent suspension against the 700r, the Yammy 450, and the Honda 450. It looks like it really was beating all of them in regards to trail riding. Now i know this was a biased test since it was by Polaris...but I have to admit, there were certain aspects on the outlaw that made me give it a second look....

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
i bet the IRS feels great on the trails, i would love that spyder kit, i think thats what it was called. and add irs to my rappy,, i really like the polaris 4x4 line up, my fam has polaris back in MN and that's what i grew up on, they are pretty damn comfy, can ride all day with no fatigue, and it seemed to do the job no matter what it was.,i'm sure they have flaws,but i never seen any problems with ours, i'd like to have a good 4x4 right now to add a snorkel to and get into some deepsea quading.....

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...that IRS system was amazing! It basically gave the outlaw over 11inches of clearance! and all so there was no real chance of the chain geting thrown off the rear sproket since the rear sproket want on a moving swingarm which usually stretches out a chain.

·
Registered
665 Posts
think that outlaw is heavy is shit , aint it? me thinks the rappy is a better sport quad, that irs is really mushy in the corners RAP RULES

·
Registered
201 Posts
I personaly believe that IRS has its good points and bad and can be limiting. Also even with the new KTM engine its still has a carb not fuel injection. I prefer fuel injection , I always hated jetting my carbs.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point about the FI...I completely forgot about that! Every bike I've owned since 2002 has been FI...Once you go FI, you never go back :thumbsup:

I do like the fact though that with IRS, there is usually one wheel always making contact with that ground...therefore keeping power to the ground. If Yamaha ever adopted that idea for their raptor, they would be unbeatable in XC racing! You could have the bet of both worlds, huge clearance numbers, and always have one rear wheel on the ground...and still be riding a Yamaha with FI :thumbsup:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Here is a link to a previous post regarding the Sonic IRS for the 450 class race quads:

http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php/topic,3783.0.html

I rode the bike (LTR 450) pictured in the tread and god as my witness, that is the fkn fastest, most nimble trail bike I have ever rode. I was beating my raptor's lap times (1 mile track) by a good 15 - 20 seconds on the LTR with the Spider Kit. BUT (and a big BUT...) it rides completely UNLIKE a solid rear axle quad. When you're pinned and turning, you need to get up on the tank and more or less ride it like a dirtbike as the ass end doesnt slip. You can hit off camber jumps with a solid axle quad and get tippy in the air, the spider launches straight. On off rythm whoops, you can blast straight through where the solid axle will get super squirrley and hinder your top speed and stability. Andy recently udated the geometry of the rear and added Fox Evol shocks. Here are a few pics of the bike I took yesterday. Also, he took a movie showing the difference of the solid rear vs. the IRS on the same section of track. As soon as I can get a copy, i'll post it on you tube for all to see. To reiterate, this IRS set up is AWESOME.

Edited to add: The LTR had a Sonic A-Arm Kit w/ the Fox Evol shocks that had 10.5" of travel, the rear A-arms with the Fox's had 11.5" of travel and the overall ground clearance was about 12".

Here is a link to the website:

http://www.sonicoffroad.com/Sonic%20Spider%20Kit.htm

·
Registered
340 Posts
More pics:

·
Registered
340 Posts
One more pic:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That spider system looks amazing! Maybe that might be intergrated into the 2009 models..or at least hopefully!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah , its the new DW....i dont have it in front of me, but its the one with the 90mph Can am on the cover. i have a subscription to it and it came in a plastic bag with the DVD in it.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
My friend just bought an Outlaw and its badass. I just dont really like the looks of it but its a blast to schred on!!

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have a riding buddy that has a new Outlaw. The suspension is pretty good but the motor is anemic. He gets eaten by stock 450's all day. I thought it was just him but I ride it too and it is just a hp issue. And it is a heavy bugger too.

Craig,

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
What was the point of the raptor putzin' along in that video. Are you trying to make the Raptor look bad? :3question:

·
Registered
912 Posts
The guy on that 700 sucked putting along like that. The 450 rider kept banging it off the rev-limiter while the 700 rider barely gas it gas. :wtf: :wtf:

·
Registered
340 Posts
pile0g00 said:
What was the point of the raptor putzin' along in that video.  Are you trying to make the Raptor look bad?  :3question:
No,  that was the fastest the guy (ME) on the Raptor could get it moving on that section of the trail.  The point being, on a whooped out trail like that,  a solid rear axle bike cant keep keep the ass end on the ground without getting squirrely.  You can see the ass end of my bike kicking out and bouncing all over going up the trail.  Believe me, I was as far back on that seat as i could go w/o falling the hell off the back....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts