Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got my new engine assembled last night. I already had. a Hot Cams 1, Yosh full exhaust, 660 11/1 piston, and a pro flow intake. I had the head ported and he flowed it, 2 mm intakes , 1 mm exhaust and new valve springs and retainers. I'm anxious to see how things work. The guy that did the head has been in the business for over 30 yrs. He has done work for me foir years and have had excellent results. The port work looks great! I know just because it looks good doesn't make it run good. But I know with his experience it will run good.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Just got my new engine assembled last night. I already had. a Hot Cams 1, Yosh full exhaust, 660 11/1 piston, and a pro flow intake. I had the head ported and he flowed it, 2 mm intakes , 1 mm exhaust and new valve springs and retainers. I'm anxious to see how things work. The guy that did the head has been in the business for over 30 yrs. He has done work for me foir years and have had excellent results. The port work looks great! I know just because it looks good doesn't make it run good. But I know with his experience it will run good.
Good luck...............:D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't remember the jets I have right now. I know I have 25 pilots and am not sure on the mains. I know before I was a little fat on my jetting (dark brown color). The guy that did my work said he would start with the jetting I have in it right now. He said I might not have to change it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anybody know off hand the valve settings on a Hot Cams stage 1? My buddy told me it was .0078 on the intake and .0098 on the exhaust. I thought that seemed like a large gap but that may be right.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since I posted the other day I contacted Hot Cams and they confirmed what he said.. They said .0078 on the intake and .0098 on the exhaust. I fired it up last night and let it idle for a few minutes and the motor sounded great. The only issue was at an idle after warmed up you still have to have the choke on just a little bit. I'm thinking that after the port work and larger valves I might have to richen the idle circuit up a little. I revved it up a little and it sounded great. I will try tomorrow to take it out and run it a little. I want to break it in easily. The port work looked great. The guy that ported it used to be one of the personnal mechanics that Harley paid for one of the flat track riders that Harley sponsored. He has done engine work for me before and I have been more then pleased.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After breaking in I rode it easily today. I think my idle to mid range may be a little lean after the 2 mm intakes and 1 mm exhaust valves and porting. I noticed at idle you need to have the choke on barely or sometimes it may stall, not always. Also sitting in neutral and revving the motor around 1/8 to 1/4 throttle it seems to have a little missing sound. It also at idle does not idle as smoothly as what it did before. I have 25 pilots in. I'm thinking maybe i need to change my idle mixture screws and or needles. Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
After breaking in I rode it easily today. I think my idle to mid range may be a little lean after the 2 mm intakes and 1 mm exhaust valves and porting. I noticed at idle you need to have the choke on barely or sometimes it may stall, not always. Also sitting in neutral and revving the motor around 1/8 to 1/4 throttle it seems to have a little missing sound. It also at idle does not idle as smoothly as what it did before. I have 25 pilots in. I'm thinking maybe i need to change my idle mixture screws and or needles. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Try bigger pilots..............

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I upped my pilots to 27.5. The mains are 165 and 170. Around 1/4 throttle its not quite as responsive as I would like so I'm going to lower the clip one notch to richen it a little. I will try this tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts