Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys im new to the sport quad world. Im coming from a 4x4 ATV and super excited to say i've narrowed my search down to yamaha. Its time for you guys to convince me to go with the 700 over the yfz 450. Here is what it will be used for

occasional dunes trips, but not often.
riding the trails around my house, out on the farm, in the woods around my place.
I love speed and drive a diesel so power is AWESOME!

But i can't decide on a yfz 450 for a 700 raptor. The 450 wouldnt be EFI though because i can't afford that, HELP ME DECIDE!

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
The new YFZ450Rs are fuel injected now. The Raptor 700 is good all around, you won't be disappointed...the torque is awesome down low compared to a 450.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new YFZ450Rs are fuel injected now. The Raptor 700 is good all around, you won't be disappointed...the torque is awesome down low compared to a 450.
I know the new ones are, and i can't afford them. Okay let me re phrase that i dont want to spend that much haha..

Is a 07' Raptor 700 a better quad than a 07' YFZ 450? I will be putting an exhaust and tune on the quad and thats all, or if i went with the 450 i would jet and pipe it

·
Registered
638 Posts
Well I came from the 450 world and now have the Raptor. Here is the difference between the 2 because they are equally as fast. You can lug the raptor around in any gear, crack the gas and feel the massive torque. It revs a bit slower then a 450 (until you get a high comp piston, pipe, intake and fuel controller of course), but the power is always there and should be a good bike to ride with your friends who have 4x4's. The 450 actually feels faster because the engine revs up so quickly. The downside is, you can't lug them around at low speeds so easy and they simply always want to go fast. When I had my 450, and my friends had 4x4's, I was clutching it all the time.

Just my 2 cents, all I can tell you is the Raptor is THE BEST sport big bore on the market. And I have only had Honda's over the last 22 years and I made the switch.

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts
Okay thats kind of what i figured. I will rarely ever be jumping the thing, and it wont ever see the track. So i think a 700 is my best bet8)
Very good choice. Another plus of the Raptor over the 450's....Reverse :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have owned alot of quads and the 700 has been the nicest one i have had. Reverse is great

·
Registered
201 Posts
Raptor 700 FTW

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'm on my fourth quad and my 700 by FAR is the best. I was also very close to buying a 450 at times too, but the 700 had me sold! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
400 Posts
All good replies, I would add that because of the engine design on the 450's the Raptor is far more reliable even after doing big engine mods.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
+1 on the reverse i bought mine to ride not to have to get off and push or pull it backwards when i get in a tight spot
+201923172472424 My buddy is always fighting with his (pushing backwards, getting stuck because he can't back out of a hole, getting hung up in vines because he couldn't turn around in the trail without sliding), but nags me every time I talk about upgrading to a 700. Says I should get a 450. No, thanks.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
What ever you get watch out for the mod virus it's very addictive but not illegal like crack but it worst you'll spend all your money on aftermarket part after part chasing that lost hp or tq that seems to be hiding in there you know it's there you just got get it and it's never enough.

·
Registered
400 Posts
What ever you get watch out for the mod virus it's very addictive but not illegal like crack but it worst you'll spend all your money on aftermarket part after part chasing that lost hp or tq that seems to be hiding in there you know it's there you just got get it and it's never enough.

MOD VIRUS, Nicely put!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a hard habbit to brake.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay guys thanks for all the replies.... I bought a 06' raptor 700 tonight. It is the special edition yellow.

It has been riden about 6 times total since being bought in 06 brand new, it was a 1 owner and looks brand new from front to back.

Next i need some suggestions for basic mods to do. I do have money to spend, but not enough for an exhaust quite yet. I'll go with the barkers or whatever they are once im ready. All it has is the yamaha aftermarket intake and the silencer taken out

·
Registered
400 Posts
You will want to get a PC3 or PC5. I think for right now the 5 is the same money or so I heard and it is quite a bit better. I really like the autotune upgrade that is available. other then that your big need is a exhaust system, good Choice on the Barkers, they are a very good system but so is the DMC if you get the right one and I think the DMC's are cheaper.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
The Pc3 And 5 Are The Same Price So Go With The 5. The Dmc's Mount With The Grab Bar Mounts Longer Bolts Provided It The Kit. The Force 4's Are A Good Pipe In My Opion I'd Buy More

1 - 20 of 29 Posts