Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Yamaha Raptor 660

Picked it up from second owner who did not know much about it. But heres what i do.

Has Full Pro Circuit T4 EXH, Pro Flow Intake Kit, One Industries Bud Light Graphics kit, Pro Taper Bars , Front bumper And nerf bars.

If you see any other mods point them out =D

As many of you guys are probably getting ready to write good luck with my 01 trans, that is one of the things on my list to ask about.

1: Is there any way to tell If i have has the 02+ Trans swap done? The bike is 11 years old i cant imagine the trans could of help up this long?

2: How can i tell if it has jet kit or which jet kit can you suggest for the mods that the bike has. I Notice everyonce and while i will get fuel dripping from carb overflows. Im woundering if someone has not done float mods?
Throttle response seems very crisp and pulls smooth, yet lower rpm high throttle i get alot of bogging.

If there is any other mods that you could suggest to really wake it up, or should be done please suggest.

Thanks for checking my post and everyone ride safe =D

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
GYTR Frame Guards are also on there, as far as the trans I'd just ride it and hope nothing happens...

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
If it's running right, it's probably been jetted. As far as the trans, a lot of them were absolutely fine.

Likely that if it's not an issue now (tranny) it either won't be, or the swap has already been done.

Welcome to the forum :beer: THere's plenty that can be done to wake it up some more, not going to list everything, but a Cam, Piston, Full Exhaust (if that's a slip-on), maybe opening up the airbox some more if the lids on, would be a good start. For now though, IMO- enjoy your new ride !!

·
Registered
376 Posts
If it's running right, it's probably been jetted. As far as the trans, a lot of them were absolutely fine

Likely that if it's not an issue now (tranny) it either won't be, or the swap has already been done.

Welcome to the forum :beer: THere's plenty that can be done to wake it up some more, not going to list everything, but a Cam, Piston, Full Exhaust (if that's a slip-on), maybe opening up the airbox some more if the lids on, would be a good start. For now though, IMO- enjoy your new ride !!
Sorry but that is NOT true.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Sorry but that is NOT true.
I said LIKELY, I didn't state it was a fact. Obviously, there's a chance it'll still fail - it happens.

BUT if the 11 year old Tranny is doing fine right now, good chance the issue has been handled, or won't be an issue. PLENTY of '01s out there that have NEVER had a problem. Unless the original owners all rode with their kid gloves on, and this guy's gonna rail on it...

Or you could go ahead and waste the money now to do a swap of a tranny that's doing fine I guess... :shrug:

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
I agree - 60% of original 01 trannies are still in use - the odds are in his favor.

You can tell by riding an 02+ Raptor and comparing gearing. 1st is quite a bit taller in the 01. Assuming stock sprockets and same size tires, the 02+ will wind up much more quickly in 1st.

·
Registered
131 Posts
@quad funny. i was just thinking of the conversation we had a few weeks ago on this very subject.

@mtuned. my advice is to ride it. if you're going to be putting money into it and splitting the case anyways, the tranny would be a pretty good idea. i don't know that i'd go splitting the case just for a tranny that wasn't broken though. use your clutch, don't speed shift into second (wide open throttle clutch bump.) give the dogs a chance to get set before you throw the torque down (milliseconds. if you release the throttle at all when you shift, you should be fine). basically don't beat it to death. but even so, don't be surprised if your 01 tranny goes on you. i took all those precautions and mine went out in 09. i wasn't even shifting or launching. i was doing some lazy drifts in a field and it just let go...

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is a '01 next door to me that has the original tranny and to date has never had any issues aside from a few minor carb issues. Yes, they DO exist.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i guess its time to start looking on ebay for the 02+ Trans. 02-05 is what i want correct?

Im also thinking about trading my plastic for a set of all blue plastics and powder coating frame black with blue arms...

I also did a WOT plug chop yesterday and plug looked great at WOT so i guess jetting is pretty setup, Im going to set floats though using clear tube method to be safe.

Thanks again for all the tips!

·
Registered
749 Posts
welcome!

i have 2 friends with 2001's. both bought brand new and both quads were ridden extremely hard. extremely. one guy's tranny went out on him last summer. the other guy hasn't ridden the 660 in a while due to getting a rhino and harley, but i believe he is still on the stock tranny...so you really never know, yours could be perfectly fine

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
10+ years, not bad...I bet my '07 tranny doesn't last that long...
Maybe not yours personally, but the 700 trannys are overbuilt cause of the problems the 01's had that why guys are running 100+ hp builds on the stock tranny. To the op don't worry about the tranny till something happens:D just ride;) the crap out of it

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well i guess its time to start looking on ebay for the 02+ Trans. 02-05 is what i want correct?

Im also thinking about trading my plastic for a set of all blue plastics and powder coating frame black with blue arms...

I also did a WOT plug chop yesterday and plug looked great at WOT so i guess jetting is pretty setup, Im going to set floats though using clear tube method to be safe.

Thanks again for all the tips!
02-05 yea. since you are picking it up as a precaution, and have some time to be patient, you should be able to find a complete trans for $100 - $150.

sounds like a minor adjustment to the floats for your carbs and you should be set.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts