Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up everyone! I'm borrowing a 2001 660 from my buddy Jarred. I was going to buy a 450 dirt bike but Jarred never rides his 660 so he told me that I could borrow it whenever I wanted.
You can't beat free lol... so I picked it up earlier today and he gave me a little back ground on it... Says that he bought it 9 years ago and had a son shortly after and has only taken it out a few times since he's owned it.
Jarred said that I can hold onto this thing as long as I want, just as long as I take care of it and he might even give it to me.
So seems I'm new to this machine, if ya'll would and do bookmark things like I do, please give me some links to your favorite Reads on here so I can read up on this.
I don't know what comes stock for fuel jetting and haven't looked yet. But if anyone lives around Tampa area let me know what you're using (bike is completely stock other than extended rear axles).

Also I've already downloaded the owners manual on from the sticky.

Ryan

·
Registered
127 Posts
welcome to the site dude! your lucky to have a friend to let you borrow a bike possibly even let you have it!! the 01 didnt have fuel injection it has dual carbs. you can read the stickies most of the info your looking for is there but dont be afraid to ask... have fun on it and be sure to read up on the regular maintanance stuff like changing the oil and keeping a clean air filter.

·
Registered
376 Posts
welcome to the site dude! your lucky to have a friend to let you borrow a bike possibly even let you have it!! the 01 didnt have fuel injection it has dual carbs. you can read the stickies most of the info your looking for is there but dont be afraid to ask... have fun on it and be sure to read up on the regular maintanance stuff like changing the oil and keeping a clean air filter.
lol I thought it was kind of common sense that the 01s weren't fuel injected considering all the 660s had dual carbs..

·
Master of the Electron
15,411 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Primary question is: How is it running right now? Any issues?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm fresh out of the military after 9yrs in to get some school under my belt. Army wouldn't let me sign up for classes cuz we were always too busy with training and deploying.
Anyways I hop on this site on my breaks from homework. I can't really tell how it runs cuz I'm not for sure how it supposed to. But it does run.
I had a hard time starting it at first, it had little fuel left in it but still could be bad fuel we put some stabilizer in it. I figured that I'd have to use the choke to start it and slowly wind it down from full choke while it was warming up. But it'd cut off when I removed it from full choke. I tried a few things and just kept on stalling out. Finally I just held it it almost WOT for a little while and finally got it to idle without the choke on.
It's rainy here this weekend so I won't know how it rides til I can take it somewhere open. I'm new to FL and just met this dude from class that rides dirt bike. I didn't know anyone else to ride with or else I woulda got this raptor from jarred a while ago.
I also just got done painting my 05 Honda CBR1000RR and doing a few mods before I put that thing back together. So I got a few toys just wish the weekends were longer!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
welcome to the forum!!! like surfrjag said keep up on the oil changes and keep that air filter cleaned. thats a great start. also get some fresh fuel in that thing and ride it!!!

·
Master of the Electron
15,411 Posts
If it dies when you turn the choke off, even shortly after starting (assuming it isn't extremely cold outside) then the pilot jets are plugged up in the carbs - almost a certainty when it sits for so long. Time for a full carb cleaning - read the stickys about carbs to give you the lowdown.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah these things take relatively no oil compared to everything else so there's no reason not to change it regularly, which I already have- still gotta blow out the air filter thou. It's already 1am and I'm sit working on my homework taking breaks here and there.
I don't think I stated it correctly in my original post about jetting. So I'm still wondering what the locals around Tampa are using for their pilot jets or would use on a stock 660. If no one gets with me on this then I'll PM someone after a search for the locals.
Jarred-the actual owner told me that he cleaned the carb after he rode it last which was a good while ago. He doesn't do much mechanic work and the spark plug was a little loose, figured that's why I couldn't give it any gas without it stalling on me originally.
It's still raining so I'll just see if my boy that rides dirt bike wants to go out and play around with this thing with me tomorrow and get a lil muddy.

QuadManiac- how you liking that Spider? Someone that I work with has an Ipod edition and the thing seems to always be in the shop. Wish he'd let me play with that thing, he says it's pretty quick with the GXSR-14 engine you got in there! One of his Spyder club boys is packing a turbo!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome to the site and anything you have a question on don't be afraid to ask. There are some seriously knowledgable people on here that have helped me with my 660. As for the stock jetting in any altitude should be fine. The part that you will need to look into is the air screw and fine tuning it. Another thing I would recommend is checking the valves and making sure they are adjusted to where they should be. Hope you enjoy the 660 mang.

As for reads, I would check every 660 subforum and read the stickys. I have used them several times and they have everything from jetting, replacement, issues, ect.

As for the carbs check into this:
http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1461 (different jetting setups)
http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20 (cleaning of Carbs)

And again if you have any other questions post up.

·
Master of the Electron
15,411 Posts
QuadManiac- how you liking that Spider? Someone that I work with has an Ipod edition and the thing seems to always be in the shop. Wish he'd let me play with that thing, he says it's pretty quick with the GXSR-14 engine you got in there! One of his Spyder club boys is packing a turbo!
Love my Spyder - 2 1/2 years now with zero problems... Some have had some, but it's a minority, and is surely unfortunate for them. I've never heard of an 'iPod edition' (and I'm almost as active in the Spyder Forum as I am here, so I would expect to have heard) nor does it have a GSXR engine - it's a Rotax 990 60 degree V-twin, 106 HP (nearly identical to that used in some Aprillia bikes).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Love my Spyder - 2 1/2 years now with zero problems... Some have had some, but it's a minority, and is surely unfortunate for them. I've never heard of an 'iPod edition' (and I'm almost as active in the Spyder Forum as I am here, so I would expect to have heard) nor does it have a GSXR engine - it's a Rotax 990 60 degree V-twin, 106 HP (nearly identical to that used in some Aprillia bikes).
I talked to the guy at work today, he has the special edition spyder that they only made 1500 of (he has #261 I think he said)that came with the with the spyder ipod. Sorry about that I must have misunderstood him. I had work to do so I didn't bother asking about the engine but from the searches that I've done, only seen them coming with the rotax engine like you said.

A little update on the maintenance, intake valves were wayyy offf!! Couldn't even get the smallest feeler gauge in there! Exhaust valves were good thou. I'll try to hit the carbs tomorrow. Week is looking pretty go for riding this weekend so I'll get to play a little..

·
Master of the Electron
15,411 Posts
Yeah, there have been special editions - must have bundled the iPod into one of them.

So common that the intakes tighten up till it just won't start when cold - good find.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts