Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to intorduce myself... Names Justin... this is my first quad... trade one of my many bikes for a 2003 Raptor 660R and some cash...

Picked it up yesterday 05/02/12...

Here Are a few pictures.

Bike came with the original silver rims aswell with a burnt up set of maxxis tires aswell as a brand new battery.

The bike has (that I can see for my own eyes):
Yosh end can (not full and not RS-3)... its no on in those pictures
K&N filter
Dynojet Kit
DG front bumper
DG Nerf's
DG Rear Grab
DG swing arm skid plate
It also appears to have aftermarket bars and hand protectors (if thats the right term)

Plans for the Raptor:
-Strip down to the frame and touch up the paint with powder
-fix oil leak on the clutch cover side
-Restore the plastics (wetsand and buff out)
-replace all the bolts that need it
-new taillight cover (ordered)
-new/used Shocks as the existing are leaking at the seals (already shipped and mint looking with warranty $100)
-new seat cover
-HID headlights
-New tires all around for the road/trails
-complete carb rebuild and proper jetting
-Airbox delete and induction kit
-aluminum oil catch
-new straps for the nerfs

So a few questions:

1. Are these bikes known to leak at the clutch cover?... its not bad, just build up but the guy put liquid gasket shit there.

2. Any tips or tricks with the front alignment?

3. Does anyone have a PDF for the manual?

As a side note I am not afraid to dig into engines or bikes... Ive built 3 ZX7R's in the last 4 years...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh,

as another note... anyone want to suggest parts?... I will be on a slight budget as I am currently building a Race Replica ZX7R with way too much $$ in parts.

And I'm also renovating my entire upstairs master bedroom, master bath, walk in closet, and spare room...

And my Driveway is scheduled to pave as soon as the company I work for opens up our asphalt plant in May.

soooo... Im busy but I love my toys!!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Welcome to FR..there is a factory service manual in the 660 section, free to members.
Good luck with the bike..As far as parts go....How do you want to build it & what type of ridding will you be doing?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to FR..there is a factory service manual in the 660 section, free to members.
Good luck with the bike..As far as parts go....How do you want to build it & what type of ridding will you be doing?
My riding will mainly be old rail beds, riding on roads/ditches to get to them (It is legal to ride roads where I will be going)

A bit of quarry riding... there is a few old quarries and taillings areas for some fun.

I will probably keep all stock suspension and most my money goes into my race bikes.

I will be thinking more along the line of upgrading all the bushings to urethane (is there a specific company or should i keep the stock grease ones?)

Tires... whats a good set of tires for road/trail?

Wider rear Axle for sure... any suggestions???

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
My riding will mainly be old rail beds, riding on roads/ditches to get to them (It is legal to ride roads where I will be going)

A bit of quarry riding... there is a few old quarries and taillings areas for some fun.

I will probably keep all stock suspension and most my money goes into my race bikes.

I will be thinking more along the line of upgrading all the bushings to urethane (is there a specific company or should i keep the stock grease ones?)

Tires... whats a good set of tires for road/trail?

Wider rear Axle for sure... any suggestions???
As far as tires go, im a woods ridder so I stick with HD Hole Shots..I dont do enoff road ridding to tell ya what tire to get for that..The Hole Shots do NOT like pavement, it tears em up fast...I use factory bushings for my A arms & I try to stick with factory bearings aswell...Exsept my front wheel bearings,I use taperd needle bearings..:)
Good luck..If ya need help just ask..

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Pretty clean looking bike there! Congrats on the find and welcome to the forum! B2R covered a lot of it, but a budget upgrade you might really want to consider would be a pair of YFZ450 front shocks, especially since you said yours are leaking. Or maybe I read that you already ordered some new/used stock shocks? Either way the 450 fronts are a great upgrade.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Pretty clean looking bike there! Congrats on the find and welcome to the forum! B2R covered a lot of it, but a budget upgrade you might really want to consider would be a pair of YFZ450 front shocks, especially since you said yours are leaking. Or maybe I read that you already ordered some new/used stock shocks? Either way the 450 fronts are a great upgrade.

I already picked up a pair of super clean looking shocks...

Now the add said 660RR... but then said fits 01-05 660 and 660R

$50 for the shocks and $40 for shipping (damn US-Canada bastards!!)

Im gunna sound like an idiot and on forums I always say research but I cant find clarification...

is there and 660RR and an 660R??... I know they do this in the sport bike world for homoligation... I dont know anything about quads to be honest.

Also picked up a brand new taillight lense for $20 Shipped... mines smashed but the housing is still functional

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I never heard of a 660RR and the clutch cover should not be leaking. Not a common problem. New gasket and you should be set. Good luck and congrats. Welcome to the quad world. =)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I never heard of a 660RR and the clutch cover should not be leaking. Not a common problem. New gasket and you should be set. Good luck and congrats. Welcome to the quad world. =)
I am putting my Race Bike on hold for the time being to work on the Raptor.

I am assuming the RR typing im seeing is just a bunch of cowboys trying to make it sound meaner.

Probably take the take the clutch side off tonight and take it from there.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I am putting my Race Bike on hold for the time being to work on the Raptor.

I am assuming the RR typing im seeing is just a bunch of cowboys trying to make it sound meaner.

Probably take the take the clutch side off tonight and take it from there.
I work at a Yamaha shop and the only time a 660rr is mentioned is for the service manual. So a 660rr is a 660r.

·
Registered
436 Posts
No problem glad to help :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts