Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we just picked up a 2011 raptor that looks almost brand new!!! It has a DG slip on and while it looks good ..it's kinda loud...Any slip ons not do loud?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any thing I should know being a new owner? Going to read the manual now ...no idea where oil filter is...Mobil 1 full sythetic ok for these?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Make sure your oil is for use with wet-clutches. That's important. Nice ride, looks brand new. DG pipes are pretty loud but every aftermarket is... The factory is the quietest.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it looks so good...I can't believe we scored this!!!! Scanning Craigslist every hour paid off....almost ended up with much older quads 2003-2005 trx!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what did you get that for? I just picked up my 350 for $2000 and I'm absolutely delighted with it. I don't know if my excitement got the best of me or if it was a good deal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered a quiet insert 1inch for it..Suppose to drop it to 94db ..Hope it makes a diff...Going to get Mobil 1 4t 10-40 oil today since I doubt the oil was changed and the guy had no idea where oil filter was but bike has roughly 10hours tops on it. The markings are still on rear tires from factory ...Do you think the oil filter is a must do with such low riding time? Not sure if they sell these local.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Go to any Yamaha dealer and they'll have a filter. I always change the filter with an oil change. It's the best thing to do. Filters are around $7 so it's not too big of a deal. If you really want to save, you can buy EMGO ones online for like $4 a piece.

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Any thing I should know being a new owner? Going to read the manual now ...no idea where oil filter is...Mobil 1 full sythetic ok for these?
Go straight down from your header pipe, oil filter cover is the one with three bolts there just below it. The three bolts are one on each side, and one on the bottom. There are two lines directly below the filter cover as well. Really clean bike!

I would always change the fluids out on any bike I bought used, regardless of how good the bike looks and how few hours the PO says are on it. It's just cheap peace of mind anyway. It won't take you much time to drain the coolant and oil and change them out anyway. Filter is real easy to swap out too. I'd change the filter myself, especially the first time on a new (to me) bike. Again, it's just peace of mind.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
How can I tell if the carb was jetted when the slip on was added? Will it be ok if it wasen't jetted?

When you mention coolant ..I assume it's the oil cooler and would that be the same as any rad..50/50 mix with distilled water? And what coolant do you suggest? Could I just use the Subaru coolant I put in my WRX STi?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I wouldn't know, my quad is air cooled :lol: If it was not jetted that's a problem... I'm not sure how to tell if it was, but if it wasn't dont start it until it's done.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a k&n recharge kit...can this be used to clean and oil stock air filter?

I changed oil today with Mobil 1 4t 10w40 and it's idling higher...odd.

Pops on decel means it's running alittle rich? My STi does this and I know it runs rich.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Popping on decel could be running lean... I know that's a sign. Ask someone like WillyKiller on here who really knows what they're talking about. Is that oil wet clutch safe?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a k&n recharge kit...can this be used to clean and oil stock air filter?

I changed oil today with Mobil 1 4t 10w40 and it's idling higher...odd.

Pops on decel means it's running alittle rich? My STi does this and I know it runs rich.
Popping on decel indicates a lean condition. This is typical if someone adds aftmkt exhaust and does not rejet at the same time. The poster above is correct suggesting that you do not ride it until you solve this or you could do a lot of damage on your new ride. It is tempting to take it for just one little ride, but you do not know how much riding the prior owner did with the jetting off and you could be at a critical point.

Either pop the carb off yourself, or spend some cash getting it professionally jetted...it will be money well spent.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Popping on decel indicates a lean condition. This is typical if someone adds aftmkt exhaust and does not rejet at the same time. The poster above is correct suggesting that you do not ride it until you solve this or you could do a lot of damage on your new ride. It is tempting to take it for just one little ride, but you do not know how much riding the prior owner did with the jetting off and you could be at a critical point.

Either pop the carb off yourself, or spend some cash getting it professionally jetted...it will be money well spent.

I had the gas off when it idled high and popped lol...I did order the quiet insert which should put back the back pressure lost by slip on? I will pull the plug today and look...The manual says it should look medium redish or whatever but I want slightly rich.

Usually a muffler don't change he way engine runs...I guess these atv's are different.

·
Registered
391 Posts
When you check the plug, white indicates running lean. Brown is around perfect, and black means your running rich. When you put that insert in it will lower the sound a bit and it should make you run a bit richer. Nothing drastic though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got insert but can't get end cap off...They used some blue silicone on it and it's on there pretty good...Any tips for removing it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the insert in but it does not sound as good and can tell it seems choked up....Guess I will buy a stock pipe or fmf q slip on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts