Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well with dune season coming i want to see them razorbacks and the rest of where im riding. I was looking at the trailtech frame mounted halogen lights their 50 or 55w and alot brighter then stock or so they claim. At $160 thats not to bad of a deal. Has anyone used these? There bar lights are only 35w i dont think that will be bright enough. Anyway got pics maybe of some vs HID's?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already read it and there really isnt that much info. No one stated using these lights or seeing them compared to stock. I know you mentioned those hid's but im not spending $400 on just lights i got other stuff i can put the extra $250 towards

·
Registered
841 Posts
Im wondering the same thing myself, Im wantin the Trail Tech lights but the hell with 320$...weres the best place to get them from?

·
Registered
786 Posts
After an accident and breaking a headlight and bracket my nephew bought some small driving lights from walmart and mounted them. They dont look to bad and are atleast as bright as the stockers. Just an idea. Some of the driving lights are pretty bright and cheaper than those trailtech.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think ebay is the chespest place to get them. Those trailtech stock location mounted lights arent bad. 50w halogen bulbs, stock mounting, plugs into stock wiring harness, and only $117. I seen someones quad on here that had them i am just wondering if there going to be bright enough for the dunes

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats a pretty good idea man the same lights pretty much for half the price. Are you sure those housings take the mr-16 bulb? I might just get those then and leave the stock lights there

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes they come with crappy MR16's in them, I tried the ones from solux and they are actually whiter (less blue) then even BMW HID's. I'll post pictures this weekend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finally got around to installing the lights.
First factory lights with factor bulbs for comparison purposes. All pictures are untouched and taken with the same camera settings.

Raptor Low beams

Raptor High beams (I have a rectifier diode that turns on both low and high beams on when you chose high beams)

Picture of the rectifier diode

Now for the Ebay lights with solux bulbs. FYI, Solux bulbs have almost a perfect color spectrum that matches sunlight. You can see that in the white beams that actually look white with solux versus yellow with factory lights. I have 24 degree ones for the low beams and 10degree ones for the high beams, all 4 come on when high beams are turned on. I still have to aim the low beams a little better.

First low beams

Now the high-beams (all 4 is on)

Now some installation photos.

The factory wires are to thin to carry the amp needed for 4 lights at the same time so I installed 2 relays for the lights. Required some extra work but not a big deal.

I can't wait to go to Dumont for Halloween. If anybody has any questions please ask.
My total cost was $49.98 for the lights + $30 for the bulbs + $4 for the relays= Total $84, or $21/light. Can't be beat.

D

·
0 Posts
heres a pic of HID in my 700r versus high beam stock in my 660, big difference!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the same setup man except i went with the 4700k 2 10's and 2 36's. Where would you hook up a relay and what kind would i need to buy? Sorry but elictrical isnt my favorite department but i want to be able to run all 4 at the same time

·
Registered
610 Posts
Probably late on this, but can you sum this up for me, tolgademir?

Say I wanted to add two lights. I'd buy the bullet light kit and add the better bulbs from the links you posted. It comes with the brackets to mount them to any round bar (from what I read). You can wire it into the existing lighting harness to have all the lights come on when flipped to high beam. I'd need two of those relays to have the stock highs and lows come on at the same time. Am I getting this so far?
If I am just adding two lights... would I need the extra relays because of the wire size? You added four lights, I don't know how to determine wire size to carry amps.
Could I go to a better stock light bulb (those Ricky Stators in another post) without having to add the relays if I add the two bullet lights?

I can physically do the work, but am mentally challenged when it comes to what to solder to where and figuring out wire sizes.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dont know about the wiring but no the lights dont come with mounts. As you can see in the pics the frame mounted ones just screwed right into the factory location. The bar mounted ones fit right on his trailtech bar clamp, im using the stock clamp on mine i just cut the key plastic so they will fit on each side once i figure out the wiring ill post up pics

·
Registered
4 Posts
any good 12v 20-30amp relay will do. here is an example.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bosch-SPDT-Relay-Socket-12V-DC-Automotive-20-30-amp_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6763QQihZ009QQitemZ190040562393QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

You install 2 of these relays. I instaled them on the bar next to the radiator. I can take pictures on wednesday when I am back home. For all 4 lights to be on you need to install a rectifier diode as i show in the pictures. Pay attention to the stripe on the diode as it indicates which way the current flows. Yellow wire in the factory harness is for hi-beam and green is for low. You only need to modify one of the wire harnesses to activate the relays.
Here how the wiring works I pull ground and positive from the battery using a pair of 14 gauge wire. The black wire in the relay connector and one of the wires from each light connect to this wire (grounding it all). The white wires in the relay connectors connect to the yellow or green wires from the factory harness (one to each). These are used to activate the relays. The red wire on the relay connectors and the black wire from the factory light harness are not used, cut them as short as you can. The blue wires from the relay connectors connect to the red wire (positive) coming from the battery. At this point all you have left are the yellow wires from the relay connector, one of these are for high beam and one for low beams, connect them to the remaining wires from the lights. Tape everything up.

If this is not clear enought I'll try to draw up a diagram.

You guys will love how much light you can have for less than 100 bucks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts