Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to introduce myself. I live in the DC area but im orignally from Georgia. I am more than likely gonna pull the trigger on a 2007 raptor 700 tommorow for 3500 bucks. It sounds like a really good deal and i drove it up the road and back and everything "seemed" fine. Only thing that sort of worries me about it is the fact that it has the airbox lid removed with a k and n filter on it and also has a power commander. Im not a fan of modding very much but i guess im not apposed to it either. Any way i wish there was a way i can tell how many hours are on it. Is there? Or do i just have to take the guys word for it? THanks for any input you guys may have.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Just look at it real good. Check for stress fractures on the plastic, and any scratches. Check for wear marks where boots are and see how much of the powder coat is missing. Look at the wear on the sprockets and the chain. Take a look at the color of the oil, see if it's maintained regularly. Make sure the steering stem is in good shape.

If all that passes, Go for it! And welcome to the site.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Sounds like a good deal if everything is in good working order. Make sure you do the usual checks; oil leaks, check the frame and subframe for cracks and welds, make sure the steering stem isn't bent and that the handlebars are straight, look for broken front bumper mounting tabs, etc.

There is no built in hour meter on this model, so you're going to have to take him at his word.

If he has a power commander on there for the open intake then chances are he has a clue what he's doing and the new fuel map is right for the setup.

Good luck on the new purchase, and be sure to post some pics for us when you get it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys...i have been drag racing 4 banger jap cars, and driving motorcycles for a while now. This is my first quad though. The guy really did seem to know his stuff but then again i dont know my stuff so he could have been blowin smoke up my butt. I just dont like to come across as gullable but anyway. I didnt notice any of those things the frame looked really solid and the steering seemed really nimble and precise when i drove it up the road a little bit. He said that he has always took care of his bikes and is trying to get rid of this one so he can get a 450 and get into gncc or something like that..lol...I just want it for recreational use. lol.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
but he doesnt have the title...isnt that kind of fishy?
Have the Vin checked, get a bill of sale. I'm not sure the laws in your area so you might want to get it checked.

·
Registered
415 Posts
i always check to make sure everything is tight also. lift up the back end and see if the swingarm, linkage, and axle bearings are tight. do the same in the front to check the a arm bushings. grab the wheels and shake em back and forth to see if there is any play in the hub. with this being a newer quad if they are loose then the maintanence could be suspect. i usually bought old bikes and this kind of thing was expected, but on a new one i would definetely make me worry. but good luck with it, and if you get it than enjoy and welcome to the club that everyone loves to hate. the raptor rider club. :lol:

·
LOOK UP IN THE SKY ITS A BIRD, A PLANE, THAT'S THE
547 Posts
Have the Vin checked, get a bill of sale. I'm not sure the laws in your area so you might want to get it checked.
+1 ya i would have the police check the vin before any money has exchanged hand's being a 07 it should have a title to it .i have a 06 and it cost me 5.00 buck's to have it done and tool about 15 min when they come out .so it's worth doing .not sure on the laws in your area or what they charge you to do it. i seen people buy one then go and run the vin and pops up stolen.then police take with them no matter if you have a bill of sale or not . sounds like a good deal if all check's out ! post some pic's if and when you get it.:D oh ya welcome to the site:D

·
Registered
415 Posts
yeah. i didn't see that post. def get it checked out!!! you don't want to be screwin yourself, and hell if it is stolen, then you can help the guy it was stolen from. if he won't let you get the vin or gets shady when you ask about it, just report it to the police. if it is on the up and up then theres no reason for shadyness.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sounds like a good deal, dont worry about the K&N with no lid because it has the pc5 on it, shouldnt effect it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It may not be fishy at all not having a title on it, there are some states that don't require you to title ATV's, Maryland is one of them I believe. I think Virginia you have to pay sales tax in order to get a title.

If he is the original owner he may be able to show you a bill of sale from the dealership, ask him for a bill of sale, and have the local law enforcement run the VIN on it, if everything checks out I would say your good to go.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'm also in the DC area :eek:! Sounds like a deal! Check everything up that Swiper mentioned if possible... Is this a local deal cause if its around me I'd be glad to check it out...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts