Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new L&A one way and 52t gear. When I was tourqing my flywheel on I broke my strap wrench. So I ended up putting my flywheel on with my elec matco impact. everything went togather great and I put about 1qt of oil in the res. I started the quad to let it run a few seconds so I could add a little more oil. When I started the quad It turned over nice and smooth but as soon as it started made a terrible clicking sound. It sounded like the one way bearing wouldn't disengage or something. What do you think this could be? Or has anyone head of this?
On a side note, I did buy a new Craftsman strap wrench and am going to completely dis assemble and re assemble the one way to tommorow. Should I also lube the surface where the oneway grabs onto the 52 tooth gear? I followed the manual but didn't see anything about this in it. Sorry for the long post, but I want to try to give all possible info. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Should I also lube the surface where the oneway grabs onto the 52 tooth gear? I followed the manual but didn't see anything about this in it. Sorry for the long post, but I want to try to give all possible info. Thanks for all the help.
I pack the one way with vasoline. That way after it starts and is warmed up the valoline will melt and disperse and not cause problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
might be something in the gears

did you make sure the bottom hole (going to your tranny gears) was plugged ,,because once you have the fly wheel off , it's very easy to drop something in there without knowing.
I broke my strap wrench as well , and all i could do was wrap a strap around the fly wheel about 15 times and was able to stop the flywheel from turning while i torqued on the main flywheel nut.
Just a suggestion.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did you make sure the bottom hole (going to your tranny gears) was plugged ,,because once you have the fly wheel off , it's very easy to drop something in there without knowing.
I broke my strap wrench as well , and all i could do was wrap a strap around the fly wheel about 15 times and was able to stop the flywheel from turning while i torqued on the main flywheel nut.
Just a suggestion.
the strap idea was working great... Until the threads decided to let loose on the nut. Now I have to either try to re thread the crank (don't know if this is even a idea worth trying) or pull the motor and put in a new crank. I did get the nut off the crank, but the threads on the crank are ugly. any thoughts

·
Registered
18 Posts
that sucks

did you strip the threads while using the impact to tighten the fly wheel nut??
Cause all i had was a 90lbs torque wrench and went to it's max ,then mad a 1/8 turn on the nut with the impact and that was it ,,,,, it's tough to gauge how tight that nut is without a torque wrench set at 110lbs.
But i'm not so sure you can re-thread the crank? maybe someone else would know this for sure.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Would it be possible to cut the threaded part off and drill and tap the crank to accept a bolt to hold the flywheel?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i suppose

i suppose it could be done , as long as it doesn't affect/change the balance of the crankshaft in any way ,,then i guess you'd be all good ,
:eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did you strip the threads while using the impact to tighten the fly wheel nut??
Cause all i had was a 90lbs torque wrench and went to it's max ,then mad a 1/8 turn on the nut with the impact and that was it ,,,,, it's tough to gauge how tight that nut is without a torque wrench set at 110lbs.
But i'm not so sure you can re-thread the crank? maybe someone else would know this for sure.
I took the nut off and pulled the flywheel, and the nut was fine. I oiled the face of the nut, threaded part of the crank, and the threads on the nut. used strap idea above and used my torque wrench set at 110. I had to be close as it was getting quite hard to tighten. Then pop and the nut broke loose. I am going to try to clean up the threads with a die, but if that doen't work I guess a new crank it will be. The threads don't look wrecked on the crank. It just looks like all the the threads from the nut are on it.

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
Chase the threads on the crank and get a new nut - it sounds like the nut stripped, not the crank.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Just a suggestion.
Good idea..............:D

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I took the nut off and pulled the flywheel, and the nut was fine. I oiled the face of the nut, threaded part of the crank, and the threads on the nut. used strap idea above and used my torque wrench set at 110. I had to be close as it was getting quite hard to tighten. Then pop and the nut broke loose. I am going to try to clean up the threads with a die, but if that doen't work I guess a new crank it will be. The threads don't look wrecked on the crank. It just looks like all the the threads from the nut are on it.
Then get a new nut and retry tightening...........

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it was a no go. I cleaned up the threads, and used a new nut. I thought I would try to torque it in steps. I started at 50lbs and The nut wouldn't even hold. Just chasing the threads with a die cut them down enough for the nut to fit sloppy. When it rains it pours. I also found the tab that holds the subframe to the frame is cracked as well as the swing arm. Man could it really get worse. I guess it is time for a new frame and powder coat, swingarm, crank, and top end or a part out.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Well it was a no go. I cleaned up the threads, and used a new nut. I thought I would try to torque it in steps. I started at 50lbs and The nut wouldn't even hold. Just chasing the threads with a die cut them down enough for the nut to fit sloppy. When it rains it pours. I also found the tab that holds the subframe to the frame is cracked as well as the swing arm. Man could it really get worse. I guess it is time for a new frame and powder coat, swingarm, crank, and top end or a part out.
So now you take a caliper and measure the OD of the stripped threaded portion of the threads, and rethread to the next smaller bolt size, whether it is metric or standard measurement, then get a high qualtiy nut of that size to secure the flywheel to the crankshaft............

·
Registered
60 Posts
So now you take a caliper and measure the OD of the stripped threaded portion of the threads, and rethread to the next smaller bolt size, whether it is metric or standard measurement, then get a high qualtiy nut of that size to secure the flywheel to the crankshaft............

+1....also make sure to stick with fine threads

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the help guys. This is exactly what I am going to try. I think I will let the shop or machine shop take care of this one. Willy, are you superman or what? Is their anything you don't know how to do? lol. Thanks again everyone!!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
thanks for the help guys. This is exactly what I am going to try. I think I will let the shop or machine shop take care of this one. Willy, are you superman or what? Is their anything you don't know how to do? lol. Thanks again everyone!!
I've seen lots with some 35+ years experience.............:D

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
i had the same thing happen a while back, although i went with a coarse thread nut, in thoughts it would be able to hold more torque without stripping off like the fine thread nut did to the crank. im not saying you should go with coarse thread, but it has worked for me so far. now that i think about it, it is probably more likely to come loose then the fine thread.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
i had the same thing happen a while back, although i went with a coarse thread nut, in thoughts it would be able to hold more torque without stripping off like the fine thread nut did to the crank. im not saying you should go with coarse thread, but it has worked for me so far. now that i think about it, it is probably more likely to come loose then the fine thread.

I dont think it makes much difference whether you use coarse or fine thread.
We are dismantling some excavator cylinders right now, the retaining nut that holds the piston to the rod has coarse thread, 4.375 inch nut, 10,000 lbs torque..........:D

·
Registered
349 Posts
I took my side cover off today with out draining the oil first, I did not have alot come out is this ok? Also I can not get my nut to break loose, I am using a impact gun. Any ideas on the nut, should I aply some heat?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I took my side cover off today with out draining the oil first, I did not have alot come out is this ok? Also I can not get my nut to break loose, I am using a impact gun. Any ideas on the nut, should I aply some heat?
Borrowed a bigger impact and the nut is off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts