Raptor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Im in the middle of a 686 build. Ive got several questions and any input would be greatly appreciated ! Im running a 102mm wiseco 11:1 piston, a wiseco crank. and yes its free of their recall. keepin my fingers crossed. Ive got kibble white springs and kibble white black diamond valves stock size. Its an 04 raptor. Does anyone know if the valve guide/guides have to be cut down for the valve seal to clear? ive heard a lot of talk of people not needing it. it says that the middle intake may need it with instructions but it isnt year specific. The cam is a hotcam stage 2. Ive also bought a wiseco timing chain as well. Also the one way bearing.. earlier raptors had a different one than the 04 and 05s. was wondering if my 04 would work with the build. the l&a replacement isnt cheap! The stroke is stock by the way. 3rd is jetting.. Ive been reading and some guys list what jets they run but dont specify what kind.. Ive already got a dynojet kit.. plan on running their needles and i have some larger jets that came with the kit for mains.. and ive heard that i will need 27.5 pilots and 3 out on the mixtures.. are the pilots mikuni ? I need to know brand and numbers to see if i have what i need to atleast get it to run when assembled.. want to be as close as possible. I have the airbox eliminater air filter set up with the 2 banchee looking filters with outter wears. also a Full hmf exhaust.. Im in south Mississippi so just above sea level. less than 500 ft. Is the stock plug good for these builds? Also my intake boots are worn and the carbs wont stay in.. Ive only heard of upp boots to upgrade, however they arent on e bay nor does the local shops around here sell them. Where are they avalible at? i found moose intake boots on ebay for about 80 bucks. Anyone run those? I know fcr carbs are much better but running short on cash.. And clutch and spring suggestions.. Ive heard some contaminate the oil.. I know its a lot of questions.. Thanks for taking the time to read. I would appreciate any help you experienced 686ers can give me. Thx in advance..

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The middle intake valve guide issue is not year specific because all years have the same head and the concern applies to all.

For the one-ways the 01 had it's own design, 02-03 had their own design, and 04-05 had their own design. If your current one-way is working, I'd leave it be until it shows signs of deterioration and failure. You need to match the 04-05 flywheel to any 04-05 oneway assembly, OEM or aftermarket.

There are only 2 kinds of main jets, the OEM type which are mikuni, and the Dynojet. Most popular is the mikuni, and you can tell them apart because the largest dynojets in the kit is a 150 main, while the mikuni stock jets are 140/145 and most 660's with aftermarket filters and more are running larger than that 150.

Pilots are mikuni, there are no other substitutes. You can order them from your dealer or one of the site sponsors.

The stock NGK DPR8EA9 plug is fine. I wouldn't mess about with different temp ranges.

UPP boots are still available at multiple locations on the web. I just did a google shopping search and came up with a number of vendors including an ebay fixed price auction. I believe there may be a couple of site sponsors who sell these as well. I would check with them also. I don't know much about the moose parts, but since most of the Moose parts are someone else's with Moose written on them they may even be UPP, I don't know but I haven't heard anything one way or another about Moose boots.

I would suggest sticking with a cork based clutch, so basically steer clear of the kevlar clutches. You'll want at least 10-15% stiffer springs which many kits come with.

Welcome to the site, and good luck on your build.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike. That helps a lot. Ill read a little more about what people are running with simular builds and buy a couple up and down to fine tune it. This sight is very helpful. Only downfall is the more i read, the more I NEED !! Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts