1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Our Kit Is Finally For Sale
Website - http://misfitfabrication.webs.com/
Photo Gallery - http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd518/misfitfabrication/​

Please checkout the website for pictures and more details. We would appreciate it if people would try not to spam this thread. If you have comments or suggestions that are not appropriate for the thread feel free to send us a PM. This thread is for reviews, questions, and advertising of our product.

Obviously everyone thinks: Diamond J already has a kit for our raptors, why would you make one...........
First we need to give credit to the original designer of the brackets, our own forum member dragonz. Very nice work bro.
Now for the details:

A) Cost less. Our kit comes in at $105+S/H and $140+S/H depending on options, and comes with full tie rods not extensions.

B) Save weight. Our brackets weigh in at over 1lb less than the Diamond J kit.

C) Provide a camber option. We also offer a negative camber option, which allows you to negatively camber your wheels for better turn in.

D) Offer flexibility not only in width increase, but also in height.

E) We offer individual replacement pieces. If you some how bend or break one of our pieces. You can purchase just the piece you damaged, you won't have to buy an entire kit.

F) We designed our shock brackets to install without needing to move the brake line "T" fitting unlike the competitors.

G) The best for last, we are offering full length extended tie rods made from solid T6061 aluminum, not cheap extensions that are known to break.

In addition, these are CNC cut pieces, which assures an exact fit every time, and will be powder coated to assure a good finish as well as a long lasting product.

We are currently 1-2 weeks from shipment upon purchase, please be patient as we try to ramp up production. Once these start to sell we will try to keep a decent amount in stock and ready for shipment within 1-2 days

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
-------Review of first day on prototype brackets at the badlands------

Ok guys. My setup was the raptor 660. Our new style 4.5", 6" brackets. And our full length extended tie rods. I ran the +4.5" configuration today.

Looking at the quad while walking around it I thought this is what the raptor should have looked like from the factory. Wide, but not ridiculously wide. Looks about even with a YFZ450, which I have always thought looked really stable and a good footprint. Our neighbor has one. So I measured and a 450 is 46" if I remember correctly. And I'm right around

So the in that respect they are more similar now.

Once we got out to the badlands I was so excited to try it out. It was very muddy out there from the rain as you can tell by the pictures in the gallery. For those that are not familiar with the place, it is 800 acres. Has woods, trails, jeep off roading sections, alot of sand hills and dunes. Many whoops sections along the sand areas from riding. I consider me and my brother slightly better and more aggressive riders than the average quad guys. Right out of the gate I was like WOW. This thing is so stable. From blazing through turns doing fish tales, to donuts, and everywhere else. Even just flying through the sand hills and whoops sections I felt alot more confident with the machine. Took some getting used to it because I could push it alot harder without needing to worry about tipping. And some of the woods trails are slightly technical depending on where u go. There used to be fear sometimes or tipping or it wanting to lean alot during some of the banked hills/turns. This issue was there anymore. Just kept on driving through.

I honestly think Yamaha should have made it this way from the factory. I am 5'9" and 175. I have the rear shock preload all the way down, and the settings to the low or softest of the book settings. The fronts preload are all the way down also. The a-arms sit about flat while I'm on it.

The kit passed in strength. There isn't even a tweak in the pieces from today's 7 hours of riding. And there are some spots there where it gets tight and maybe wack a rock or whatever. The full length tie rods are the way to go. They are a very solid piece. They held up great also.

For comparison here: My brother went out first while I was still unloading mine. He flew up this asphalt road that goes up and winds around. At the top and to the left is a fence to keep us off of the other property. Well it was still freezing temps and he slid while going pretty fast into the fence. He destroyed about 20' of fence, even taking out a 4x4 that was in the ground to hold it up. I wasnt watching when he did it, but the quad rolled over and he got thrown off. The collision was hard enough that while it flipped and or hit the fence he bent his stock axle pretty good on the one side, was not ridable at moderate speeds anymore, bent a tie rod end, broke the front radiator grill piece.

All the lower, and shock brackets of ours held up. He bent the top a-arm bracket from our kit about 1/8-1/4" back towards the rear of the quad on the side of impact. This pushed the a-arm slightly back obviously. He rode the rest of the day with it like it was. A simple swap later with a new bracket and the kit is good to go. That's why we offer the replacement piece that you break without needing a whole new kit. So as hard as the hit was with the fence I was very impressed with how the kit held up. I mean he bent the rear axle and a tie rod end. Just a bend in our bracket.... Could even have just taking it off and bent it straight. But I cut him a new one.

So overall the quad looks impressive and very aggresive. We also installed the gforce extended hubs to go along with the width kits. A great product for sure. If your hesitant about making your raptor wider, I would say dont wait any longer. Its so much better. Just watch out for fences, lol.

Thankx

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know alot of people have been looking for extended tie rods. We sell them seperate on the website for people that are in need of something better than tie rod extensions. Please check them out

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The picture above and all the pictures in the gallery are in the 4.5" setting.

More details about the gallery..... The offroad pictures are at the badlands with the 4.5" setting and the gforce extended hubs, which are a very nice compliment to this kit, and the tires installed in the rear are kenda kutters 20x11-9, which are .5" wider per side.

In this setup the rear and front almost seem about even for width. I don't have the exact measurements on hand.

·
Registered
521 Posts
can you use the stock brake lines or do you need to buy extended ones?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
can you use the stock brake lines or do you need to buy extended ones?
Stock brake lines are used in the 4.5" setting, should also work in the 6" setting, but we have not tested this. Worse case longer lines can be installed.

The intermediate support bracket will need to be taken off for either setting to free up some slack in them.

·
Registered
521 Posts
you should test it so potential customers know for sure

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We will see if we can get a raptor setup with the +6 to test the brake lines.

Hopefully someone that has +3 arms or the diamond J setup in the +6 position can comment whether or not they fit so we get a definite answer.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I have +3 arms on my raptor and use the stock lines. I had to bend the part of the brake like just a tad where it bolts on the caliper. It was easy though but they are at there limit with +3s but I ran them all last summer like that with no problems

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
In your test, did you run a stock rear axle or something aftermarket extended?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
In your test, did you run a stock rear axle or something aftermarket extended?
Gforce extended hubs on both raptors during the testing at the badlands. The review is on the first page.

They give a total of 3.5" width increase. Since they revised the hub with the steel insert these things look bullet proof. After my brother hit the fence as stated in the review enough to bend his axle, the gforce hub was still perfectly straight.

All he needed was a replacement axle for $65 and was good to go.

Because of the setups using the wider rear tires, the rear end was wider than the front. Between the +4.5 up front and the +3.5" in the back it seems about even now. Ill try to get some measurements later tonight of the width front/back so you guys know

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have +3 arms on my raptor and use the stock lines. I had to bend the part of the brake like just a tad where it bolts on the caliper. It was easy though but they are at there limit with +3s but I ran them all last summer like that with no problems

Thankx for the info.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
do you do these for the 700?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As of right now we do not have a kit for the 700. However, we are working on developing kits for more bikes. We do not currently have access to a 700 to design from, but I am definitely looking into one. If anyone is in either the St. Louis, MO area with a 700, who would like a kit, we could give you a great price on one if we could design one from your bike.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
My advise to any 660 rider is to replace the brake lines. The stockers are crappy & give the brakes the spongy gutless feel that they have.
For the +6" setup, I would definately reccommend longer lines.
It may be possible to get the stockers to fit, but you're on the hairy edge with them stretching that far, & you damage one at the wrong time..............

My bike also has 450 front calipers, but thats another story :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dragonz would know, he did give us the basic design for the kit! We did make some modifications to it, but all in all thanks alot to Dragonz!

Also, we are going to look into offering longer brake lines for use with the +6 kit. They are not REQUIRED, but we will look into offering them for those who are concerned!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have u ever heard of not useing the top shock brackets to lower it? i have heard this from other guys and was wondering if it would be a good idea or possible?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts