Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 02 Raptor today, I am new to the atv seen and would like some advice from you pro's. Its got all kinds of mods, its bored out to a 686. I have started cleaning it up and would like to start with some maint...

I pulled the plug wire out of the socket today and would like to replace it with new one along with a new plug. Any suggestions on these replacement parts and what else I should look over with the mods listed below.

Thx

AFTER MARKET EXTRAS

- DG plus 4in back axle
- Works suspension front and back
- Kryptonics extended A arms
- Tag steering stem
- Azonic handlebars
- GYTR nerfbars
- GYTR skid plate
- DG grab bar
- GYTR side plates
- Pro performance aluminum oil tank
- White brothers header and exhaust
- K&N Air filter
- Dynojet carbs

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Dynojet Carbs? Never heard of them - jets, needles, yes. Carbs, no.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Welcome to the fourm. QM has introduced himself. Others will follow. You can download the service manuel free from this forum. Does the bike run well? Change all your fluids. Pay attention to how to change the oil. You have a seperate oil tank. make sure all your electrical connections are clean and tight. you have the better transmission. It was upgraded in 02. You may need a aftermarket one way clutch. The stock one is prone to failure. Check out the stickies in mantiance section for lots of info. On the web you can find parts through Cheap Cycle parts, Rocky Mountain Cycle, Miller Yamaha or others. Check our sponsor listing. As far as your plug wire. You must use a stock spark plug boot (it unscrews from the wire) It has a intagrated resistor so you dont fry your electronics. Good Luck.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I guess I should use a stock plug for this set up?

Thanks for the advice...
Try an irdioum plug, last digits are EIX...........
And what is wrong with the plugwire............:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was pulling on plug wire socket I pulled the wire right out of the socket... Should be connected right?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
When I was pulling on plug wire socket I pulled the wire right out of the socket... Should be connected right?
Cut about 3/8 inch from the end of the wire and reconnect it by screwing it back securely into the cap.............:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Great, thx! Next task will be cleaning the carb, its back firing and cutting out when giving it gas. New plug and battery installed, cleaned the hell out of it all day today, can't wait to ride the damn thing!

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Backfiring is often due to the air/fuel mixture being too lean - most likely the carbs are dirty inside in all small passages - especially the pilot jets: they're famous for getting plugged. Carb cleaning time.

OR

If it just won't run much above idle - it pops and sputters when you give it just a bit of throttle, and won't rise above that RPM, then it's probably one of the safety RPM limiters. Read 'Most Common Raptor 660 Problems' - a sticky at the top of the General 660 Discussion section - concentrate on the RPM limiters section.

What are the 'Dynojet Carbs' described in your sig? Never heard of them. Could it just be that the stock carbs have been re-jetted with Dynojet jets? This would be more likely, IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tips, will keep that in mind after the carbs are clean. O and yes stock carbs re-jettted...

Thank you everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts