Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after being out of the Raptor scene for the past four years, I'm back!

Got into street riding the last season, and actually got rid of my last quad (08 TRX700XX) about 6 months ago. The Ninja 650 is fun, but this winter it's just got to where I can't stand not having a quad!

So today I picked up a well used and worn 2005 660R as a project. It had been used for MX, and was well set up with a full Yoshimura exhaust, aftermarket aluminum air box, K&N filter, EBC heavy duty clutch and springs, Fly Racing handlebars, ODI grips, Moose hand guards, aftermarket Nerf bars, G-Force axle, and YFZ front shocks (there may be more, this is just what I have discovered so far tearing it down…) All of which must have been fairly recently added, as none of them were nearly as worn as the rest of the quad. It is a strong runner, starts right up with no smoke; good smooth idle, tight sounding engine with very snappy throttle response.

Although ridden hard and put up dirty, this machine is not dead. This Raptor will rise again as a woods machine in its second life! Got the plastics removed today, Pictures to come!

Radiator slightly bent , but not leaking

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Well after being out of the Raptor scene for the past four years, I'm back!

Got into street riding the last season, and actually got rid of my last quad (08 TRX700XX) about 6 months ago. The Ninja 650 is fun, but this winter it's just got to where I can't stand not having a quad!

So today I picked up a well used and worn 2005 660R as a project. It had been used for MX, and was well set up with a full Yoshimura exhaust, aftermarket aluminum air box, K&N filter, EBC heavy duty clutch and springs, Fly Racing handlebars, ODI grips, Moose hand guards, aftermarket Nerf bars, G-Force axle, and YFZ front shocks (there may be more, this is just what I have discovered so far tearing it down…) All of which must have been fairly recently added, as none of them were nearly as worn as the rest of the quad. It is a strong runner, starts right up with no smoke; good smooth idle, tight sounding engine with very snappy throttle response.

Although ridden hard and put up dirty, this machine is not dead. This Raptor will rise again as a woods machine in its second life! Got the plastics removed today, Pictures to come!
Awesome................:D

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
Welcome back. :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well as I began tearing it down more today I discovered a bent frame. The right lower A-Arm has been pushed back about an inch.

Found a like new used frame for $400, off another '05 model that must not have ever been ridden. The new frame hardly had a scratch. The coolant looks normal, and the oil is slightly gray, but that may be from the new clutch. The teardown continues.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got the front end removed today and the subframe off. Discovered a bent stem, and a cracked axle carrier. Also the swingarm pivot bolt seems stuck. Got the nut off with my electric impact, and put it back on just flush with the end of the bolt, so as not to damage the bolt or threads with the hammer. Then took a socket butted against the bolt and hammered it several times to no avail. Letting it soak in PB Blaster overnight and will beat on it more tomorrow.

·
Registered
386 Posts
hate those surprises

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Damn I will I could get $400 out of any of the frames I sell. I only get $100 to $125:( Sounds like there are alot of surprises in this 660. I got a axle carrier and nice stem if you need it. The stem is on eBay right now though. Keep the progress coming.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up cutting the swingarm bolt with the Sawzall. It was seized in the left (sprocket) side of the frame, and the right inner pivot bearing race was seized to it also. It was a fight, but I got the engine out of the frame and degreased it. It was nasty, everything looks like had been kept greased some, but not recently. As I drained the oil tank, it was kind of brownish gray opaque. Not milky, but not clear either. This supposedly has a new clutch in it, maybe that's what I'm seeing in the oil (I hope). Ordered a few more suspension bearings I needed.

As for the rear carrier cracking, seems like I've heard of this before on the 660's, just never had to deal with it. So I ordered an aftermarket billet carrier off EBay from East Coast ATV. Got it for $139.95, and it has double row bearings and seals all pre-installed and ready to go! This is a redesigned part that's supposedly stronger than the stock carrier, and it's guaranteed against cracking for life.

Now that I have the engine out on the bench, I will be checking the valve clearances and compression next. Also removing the clutch and stator covers to see if everything is running clean inside.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Good luck man, hopefully you get no more nasty surprises! Are you sure your frame was bent and it wasn't just a bent A arm? Hate for you to buy a new frame and that not be the issue.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I ended up cutting the swingarm bolt with the Sawzall. It was seized in the left (sprocket) side of the frame, and the right inner pivot bearing race was seized to it also. It was a fight, but I got the engine out of the frame and degreased it. It was nasty, everything looks like had been kept greased some, but not recently. As I drained the oil tank, it was kind of brownish gray opaque. Not milky, but not clear either. This supposedly has a new clutch in it, maybe that's what I'm seeing in the oil (I hope). Ordered a few more suspension bearings I needed.

As for the rear carrier cracking, seems like I've heard of this before on the 660's, just never had to deal with it. So I ordered an aftermarket billet carrier off EBay from East Coast ATV. Got it for $139.95, and it has double row bearings and seals all pre-installed and ready to go! This is a redesigned part that's supposedly stronger than the stock carrier, and it's guaranteed against cracking for life.

Now that I have the engine out on the bench, I will be checking the valve clearances and compression next. Also removing the clutch and stator covers to see if everything is running clean inside.
Good luck, the guys at East Coast ATVS are good people. I live like a hr or so from them..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Good luck man, hopefully you get no more nasty surprises! Are you sure your frame was bent and it wasn't just a bent A arm? Hate for you to buy a new frame and that not be the issue.
The frame was definitely bent, the two lower tubes were bent over to the right. I've been cleaning up all the small parts the last few evenings, This quad has been rode hard and put up dirty for sure. The Clean Pile so far:

Got in my suspension bearings and the new rear carrier this evening, very well made part, billet aluminum with dual row bearings and even a grease fitting.

Old Vs New Carrier

Now gonna go get to cleaning some more...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Update - Major Progress

Well after the last several weeks I have something resembling a quad appearing from the piles of parts...

I had to go through the entire motor, replacing the crank and rod (Hot Rods), and the piston (Wiseco .20 over). Also replaced a few case bearings in the transmission that seemed noisy.

Got the motor all back together this week, and today I got it back in the new frame (original frame was bent), hung the swing arm and rear suspension, installed the oil tank and lines, and got the stem in.

·
Registered
386 Posts
make sure you can get it out of that room before you get to far :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
make sure you can get it out of that room before you get to far :)
Yep - Plan on building up the frame and subframe with the all the small parts (harness, hoses, cables, etc) less the axle and front suspension so I can get it out of the house to install the "wider" parts... :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great job so far, I do have a question for you though. I'm kinda in the same situation as you now, I have a line on a 03 660 that is a nice bike and a good price. But i'm sure it will need some refurbishing. in the end is it worth it to save on the initial investnent and have to replace all the bad/broken parts or just spend a few dollars more and get a newer cleaner one like an 05 I found but the price is about $1200 more. Thanks and good luck on what looks to be a great raptor.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Honestly I went way over my planned budget on this machine. I bought it for $1800, and it had several nice mods, but was beat to death and filthy. The mods caught my eye, I could defnitley re-use them. But I've had to replace so much other stuff, and now have almost $5K in a machine that might bring $3K. I enjoy the work, but forget the budget... But if I had spent more on a machine that needed less work, I woud have still went through it, and it may have came out even.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gettin' Close!

Well I now have everything back in the frame. Since my last update I have installed the subframe, and the rest of the harness and hoses, carbs, exhaust, and everything else required to make it run. Now to get it outside, put the tank back on, and see if she starts!

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Definitely coming along! Looking real good!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's Alive

Well I got the tank on, hooked up the battery, put some gas in and it started right up! Didn't even smoke or make any unusual noises! Guess I did it right the first time going through an engine on this level, to hear it run again today was a sweet sound! Did have to fix a minor fuel leak, the joint between the two carbs was leaking and needed new O-rings. Didnt have to tear back into the carbs, just had to separate them. An hour later had the leak fixed. Now to the rest of the assembly...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts