Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
i have just brought a 660 frame, swinger ect, and im going to install an R1 engine into it,
im looking for advise on what engine to use(year/carbs/injected), and any pit falls that i will come across, and any other advise that could help.:D

forgot to say that i want the quad to look as "standard" as possible

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump anyone:(

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Well i dont know much about R1 builds but i can tell you what i do know.

You will have to make some adjustments and if im correct the exhaust will be low by the bottum of the frame from what ive seen, the 08-09 i think it has the most HP. I would go with fuel injected of corse because you can get your own custom tune aswell as you dont have to worry about carbs and easier starting.

I know there are guys out there that can make a custom exhaust for you or even a header and buy a Barkers R1 slip on and re-rout the exhaust to look normal.

I would go with a bigger swinger so you can stay on the ground and holeshot easier.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i dont know much about R1 builds but i can tell you what i do know.

You will have to make some adjustments and if im correct the exhaust will be low by the bottum of the frame from what ive seen, the 08-09 i think it has the most HP. I would go with fuel injected of corse because you can get your own custom tune aswell as you dont have to worry about carbs and easier starting.

I know there are guys out there that can make a custom exhaust for you or even a header and buy a Barkers R1 slip on and re-rout the exhaust to look normal.

I would go with a bigger swinger so you can stay on the ground and holeshot easier.
hey thanks for that, i have searched the net and this forum and it seems that the later r1 engine has a 5th injector in the air box???, so i would assumn that you have to have the air box fitted, not really what i wanted as i would like to retain the "stock" look as much as possible. but would defo go with the longer swinger,

·
2011 RF Fantasy FootBall Champ
883 Posts
Conversion bikes are all about set up. When you go and buy a stock machine at the local bike shop, the manufacture has figured out most of the things that make that bike sucessful. (engine placment, swinger length, seating position, ect.)

By using a new engine much bigger you have some new things to figure out.

By using a stock 660 frame or some other stock frame and cutting it you have some of those things figured out, however the negitive thing is you can not change some of the things that the factory did to the frame without major work. (Gas tank is normaly in the way and has little volume if you build a new one to fit in the factory spot is just one example.)

What you need to ask your self is this question........"what kind of riding do i want to do with my project when i have it completed"

Now if your answer is Drag racing one the flats only ----- then build a new frame dont waste your time with the stock frame conversion.

If your answer is sand dune only Hill shooting------- i would use a plus 12 to 14 swinger and about 14 to 16 paddle rippers or something compairable.

If your answer was riding in the mud, trails, ----- i would rethink the need for a r1 conversion.

JMHO

Bigrig

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your welcome, and what do you mean by 'Later' like the newer models?
later, i mean from 2002 upwards, the injected models, i could be completly wrong though,(usally am) thats why i seeking some help lol:D

Bigrig,

i want it to ride on the road, burn some rubber from the lights. and generaly a play thing, it wouldnt be off road at all!!!!
i havnt got the space to build a bespoke frame( btw yours looks really cool8)
even though i would like to.
i have trawed the net and have loads of pictures of 660/700s with R1 engines in and it looks like you dont have to move the tank or modify the top part of the frame at all, but thats why im asking the experts:) for the infomation as there seems to be a lot of you guys over that side of the pond that have done the conversion, and i hoping to learn from your mistakes/advice

many thanks in advance:beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts