Raptor Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2005 Raptor for a cheap price, the guy who had it got it in a trade deal and knew nothing about it, listed it for sale 30 minutes after and i took the bait.

Pre notes: The reverse limiter mod was already done to it, and the parking brake cable was removed and wire unplugged.

Without any work I was able to get it to fire up but it was blowing white smoke and smelled incredibly.... burnt? I assumed it was a head gasket problem so i bought a kit to fix that. Upon removing the head I saw the top of the piston had a few "C" shaped dents in it and a couple gouges. So instead of reusing the piston i got a 686 Kit and installed it. I set the cam and timing, (on the H the first time, then after no start i redid it on the I mark and then i checked valve clearances. I got it to fire up with the new rebuild and correctly in time, but the idle only lasted only a few seconds and then it died with a nice puff of white smoke. Then it wouldnt fire up again. I thought head gasket again immediately? But i checked down the spark plug hole and didnt see any signs of coolant. I checked for spark and come to find i wasnt getting any. So i changed and fixed my coil and then i got a nice spark. I tried to fire it again and it started to want to run with an ether shot. By this time i was on brand new carbs from amazon. I thought since i had spark maybe fuel was the problem, so i went back to stock carbs and cleaned them.

Now all of a sudden ive lost spark again? I managed to get it back switching back to the original coil again but now my starter motor starts to turn but the engine isnt turning over. And i can turn it with a socket and feel compression as i should...

Can anyone help give me some ideas on what the heck i should do? Im curious why my piston had those dents, and the top end has been torn into before i can tell...

Currently im taking the side cover off to see whats going on in there. But havent done it yet. Anybody have any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Dents in the top of the piston are from where the valves hit it at some point.
If the same valves are still in it, they are likely bent, even if not visibly.
Check the waterpump seal as well as the head gasket.
Amazon carbs are junk, put the stock carbs back on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts