Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I would like to say hello, and thank you in advance for all the noob advice. I am starting the process of rebuilding a 2001 raptor (just got it today). While I am a long time member on Suzukicentral.com and a wiz with the Z/KFX-400, today is the first day I've got my hands on a 2001 660 thats bored .40 over. I have done alot of searching on this site but would like to clarify a few things with those of you who know their shiz. Here goes; 1)What are the most common (cheap) mods recommended for a 2001. 2) Any issues I should be aware of with that are common with the 2001 that I need to look out for? 3) Has anyone used Fastenal for wheel bearings yet? And if so, is there a link or part numbers available? Lastly, Besides GT-Thunder/Elka's/etc, is there a shock from another machine that can replace the pogo's on the 2001? Again, thank you all in advance for any help you can provide and I look forward to being part of the Raptor community.:)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
First I would like to say hello, and thank you in advance for all the noob advice. I am starting the process of rebuilding a 2001 raptor (just got it today). While I am a long time member on Suzukicentral.com and a wiz with the Z/KFX-400, today is the first day I've got my hands on a 2001 660 thats bored .40 over. I have done alot of searching on this site but would like to clarify a few things with those of you who know their shiz. Here goes; 1)What are the most common (cheap) mods recommended for a 2001. 2) Any issues I should be aware of with that are common with the 2001 that I need to look out for? 3) Has anyone used Fastenal for wheel bearings yet? And if so, is there a link or part numbers available? Lastly, Besides GT-Thunder/Elka's/etc, is there a shock from another machine that can replace the pogo's on the 2001? Again, thank you all in advance for any help you can provide and I look forward to being part of the Raptor community.:)
Welcome to RF...The 01 Raptor is a good bike. One issue to look for is the transmission, they have issues mainly in the 01(2nd gear) but all years can be troublesome..hopefully your got a good one.. Front shocks of A YFZ work great.
Good luck with the build...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the shock info (any year YFZ?). From what Ive been told the tranny was just rebuilt by the previous owner. BTW; sorry about the double post, my computer froze up and I hit submit a few times.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any other mods you guys can suggest I search? Air box, air filter, carb, etc? Any advice is greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Any other mods you guys can suggest I search? Air box, air filter, carb, etc? Any advice is greatly appreciated?
Lots of mods for the 660..We need to know how & ware you will be ridding your bike...Woods, track, dune...What all is done to your bike now?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lots of mods for the 660..We need to know how & ware you will be ridding your bike...Woods, track, dune...What all is done to your bike now?
It will be a trail raptor only. Maybe a little GNCC style every once in a rare while, but mostly wooded trails.
The only info I got from the seller about mods were; bored .40 over (not sure if it was a sleeve or a cyl. kit), and trans was just rebuilt at a local dealership.

From looking at it, all stock. Has 20" rears and 13t front sprocket. No air-box mods, or aftermarket exhaust, suspension upgrade,.... nothing.

So if any one can give me a good list of mods that you raptors wiz's know of, I would greatly appreciate it
Thanks

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
It will be a trail raptor only. Maybe a little GNCC style every once in a rare while, but mostly wooded trails.
The only info I got from the seller about mods were; bored .40 over (not sure if it was a sleeve or a cyl. kit), and trans was just rebuilt at a local dealership.

From looking at it, all stock. Has 20" rears and 13t front sprocket. No air-box mods, or aftermarket exhaust, suspension upgrade,.... nothing.

So if any one can give me a good list of mods that you raptors wiz's know of, I would greatly appreciate it
Thanks
Well, start by moding or loosing the air box lid & re jetting, get a good full exhaust like yosh, sparks so on.. That will get her moving & flowing alot better..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, start by moding or loosing the air box lid & re jetting, get a good full exhaust like yosh, sparks so on.. That will get her moving & flowing alot better..
Thanks! When a aftermarket exhaust goes on it I'll re-jet accordingly and let it breather more for sure. Any chance there are common mods where you change stock raptor items for other OEM parts to increase reliability/performance?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Thanks! When a aftermarket exhaust goes on it I'll re-jet accordingly and let it breather more for sure. Any chance there are common mods where you change stock raptor items for other OEM parts to increase reliability/performance?
Bring it to my shop...well mod it up :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bring it to my shop...well mod it up :D
HaHa! Ive gone through the empty bank account thing a couple times. I have 2 Heavy mod'd Z-400's (my builds) now;). Just looking for some "insider" info on this Raptor.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
HaHa! Ive gone through the empty bank account thing a couple times. I have 2 Heavy mod'd Z-400's (my builds) now;). Just looking for some "insider" info on this Raptor.
Haahahaa, im just teasing ya.. Biggest thing you can do at this point is open up yout air box, 660's are VERY chocked up from the factory...you will need to re jet with ANY mod to your air flow... Port matching your intake boots to your head will help A bit to...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haahahaa, I'm just teasing ya.. Biggest thing you can do at this point is open up yout air box, 660's are VERY chocked up from the factory...you will need to re jet with ANY mod to your air flow... Port matching your intake boots to your head will help A bit to...
Thanks, I'll port match the intake when I get that apart. I'm going to search, but whats the most popular air box mod everyones doing (to narrow my search)?

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you go to EDIT your multiple posts you will find a DELETE at the bottom... just follow the path it takes you on.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to the forum. If you go to EDIT your multiple posts you will find a DELETE at the bottom... just follow the path it takes you on.
I can't figure out how to delete those duplicate threads. Maybe a Mod can delete them. Sorry.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to pick up a service manual today to help with some questions. But, I can't get a lot of the great info out of that book that you guys can give from your experiences.
This new Raptor I have, I basically have little idea what previous owner did to it. If I were to start building this for a wooded trail machine what are some recommended mods (ex; gearing, tires sizes, suspension, etc)?
Are there any parts from the newer raptors I should get to replace some of the 2001 parts with? Any mechanical tips and tricks I should know about? Any weak factory parts I need to upgrade?
Back to the search function now.
Thanks all!

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
gearing will help you out in the woods. pick up a 12T front sprocket. some people on here are runnin as large as a 44T rear. im happy with a 12T front and factory sized 40T rear.
if your ridding in rutted out trails i would get 22" rears and 23" fronts to help with ground clearance, most run the factory 20"/21" set up with maxxis razr's, itp holeshots or something similar on the front and rear.
as far as mods, tips and tricks you should take a glance through the stickies in the 660 sections. lots of good reading there. oh and welcome to RF :beer:

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
investing in full skid plates wouldnt be a bad idea either

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gearing will help you out in the woods. pick up a 12T front sprocket. some people on here are runnin as large as a 44T rear. im happy with a 12T front and factory sized 40T rear.
if your ridding in rutted out trails i would get 22" rears and 23" fronts to help with ground clearance, most run the factory 20"/21" set up with maxxis razr's, itp holeshots or something similar on the front and rear.
as far as mods, tips and tricks you should take a glance through the stickies in the 660 sections. lots of good reading there. oh and welcome to RF :beer:
Great info, thanks! Wow, a 12t! I had a hard time keeping the front tires on the ground with a 13t :). Whats the stock front tooth count BTW?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
stock front sprocket is a 13T

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are there any parts from the newer raptors (or aftermarket) I should get to replace some inferior parts on the 2001? Basically, any weak factory parts I need to upgrade?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts