Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if or where u can buy a brand new raptor700 engine? I've seen lots of used engines but would rather just pay for something I know is new..
If anyone has awebsite or knows of anywhere I could get one.. that would help alot..
-Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I am sure you could through yamaha....but why would you want to do this? It will cost a small fortune....you could get a used engine and have it completely rebuilt with performance add ons for considerably cheaper. just my .02

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
The only place would be a dealer or one of these online OEM Yamaha parts places. There's also a forum sponsor that is a Yamaha dealer

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sure you could through yamaha....but why would you want to do this? It will cost a small fortune....you could get a used engine and have it completely rebuilt with performance add ons for considerably cheaper. just my .02
Im not very mechanic savy and I hate mechanics in the first place so to me it would seem like the better thing to do.. I don't have the knowledge to go into the engine andrebuild it.. I do minor work like oil change filter cleaning replacing tires and the chain.. but im dumbfounded once I get into the engine.. im not sure how much the engines cost brand new either so I figured id ask u guys who have a little more expierence with this stuff.. im still a noob in the world of atv riding.. but I do appreciate your input

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Im in the same boat Mush. My Raptor is new but im not mechanicaly savy at all. I would still try to rebuild my engine with all the knowledgeable folks on here it would be a sinch and would cost alot less. When you sell that blown motor someone is going to rebuild it anyway. Id save some money and just do it myself. Just my 2 cents and a good way to know more about your rappy engine and become a better mechanic on yours...

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
IMO, I would send my worn out/broken engine to a qualified mechanic (not the one at most dealerships) and have them work on it. Cheaper than a whole new engine (in most cases) and you can still rely on the work being done correctly (if you make sure to find a good shop).

·
Registered
415 Posts
IMO, I would send my worn out/broken engine to a qualified mechanic (not the one at most dealerships) and have them work on it. Cheaper than a whole new engine (in most cases) and you can still rely on the work being done correctly (if you make sure to find a good shop).
+1 if you have no intention of wanting to learn how to do it, than this is your best bet.

i have no idea why anyone would want something like this and not want to know what makes it tick.......ok purr. :lol: its kinda like dating kim kardashian, and not wanting to find out what makes her :wow:...............nuff said. :lol: i don't mean any disrespect, i just was always brought up that if you can't fix it, you shouldn't have it. damn redneck dad.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1 if you have no intention of wanting to learn how to do it, than this is your best bet.

i have no idea why anyone would want something like this and not want to know what makes it tick.......ok purr. :lol: its kinda like dating kim kardashian, and not wanting to find out what makes her :wow:...............nuff said. :lol: i don't mean any disrespect, i just was always brought up that if you can't fix it, you shouldn't have it. damn redneck dad.
I hear ya but im an electronics need.. my specialty lies with guitar. Guitar amps and car audio systems.. I can do those all at long.. but like I said when I get into an engine I get confused and I really dot want to mess up my $4500 machine just to find out what makes it tick as u said lol.. o purr...

And I would never take my stuff to an official yamaha dealer cause I know they charge out the ass for labor but I've got like 2 shop doesn't know what they're doing. My buddy sent his yfz450 in because it wouldn't stay running.. well 3months layer and $1200 down the road they figured out his wirng harness was bad after they did all this work and charged him for parts he didn't need... they killed his battery from trying to start it so many times and made him pay for a new battery... that's not right

This is what I want to avoid and y I hate dealing with mehanics.. I've had my share just with one of my cars..but I guess since my engine is broke. It can't hurt it to tear in and try a rebuild.. granted im going to buy a replacement engine...then sell the broke one if or when I can fix it haha

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Just a quick "?" what happend to the first one??? It says 07 in your sig...
was it all built up or what? I just can't imagain a 07 going BOOM!

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts

i have no idea why anyone would want something like this and not want to know what makes it tick.......ok purr. its kinda like dating kim kardashian, and not wanting to find out what makes her :wow:...............nuff said. :lol: i don't mean any disrespect, i just was always brought up that if you can't fix it, you shouldn't have it. damn redneck dad.
+1
:beer::eek::D:haha::metal::rofl::help::grin_nod:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just my .02 as well, but my rappy took a dump on me and a friend of mine (who is a small engine certified teacher) rebuilt it with parts and labor with new higher compression piston, new valves and a valve job, exhaust, cam, clutch and everything for $650 parts and labor.

Always remember, someone knows somebody where you live that will be honest and will have talent that will treat you right. Best of luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick "?" what happend to the first one??? It says 07 in your sig...
was it all built up or what? I just can't imagain a 07 going BOOM!
The piston ring apparently worn down and It was burning oil.. I knew about this and kept an eye on it untill I could get the work done it but still kept drivin it.. well it was gettin to a point where I was puttin a quart of oil in it for every riding trip and then it got to a point where it was burning oil too fast and well without oil then engine goes boom or in my case everything seized up.. so the cylinder wall is scratched all to hell.. piston is fucked... valves and crank... probally the transmission as well But i told the guy not to go into the tranny because with it running out of oil I know its jacked up as well.. so rather than pay him more labor Im just gonna buy another engine.. and try to fix my broken one in the mean time cause the cases are still good so i can always "attempt" to rebuild it and sell it when or if I get it finished lol

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I don't know about raptor engines but for a DS650 motor when I looked years ago it was over $5000 just for a brand new stock motor. At the time you could almost buy a brand new DS. hell a bare OEM raptor head is over 500 new, now if you factor in the costs of everything and shipping a engine it would be cheaper to send your motor to even the best shop. Or just buy a brand new Raptor if you want a new engine and part your quad and you would be better off. I just think a Brand New replacement engine is not a good idea.???

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
**update Just found out that my cylinder head is trashed as well.. whats the smartest route to go about this?

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
**update Just found out that my cylinder head is trashed as well.. whats the smartest route to go about this?
Buy a good low hr. used engine, there are a couple in the "bikes and parts for sale" section here on the forum. Take a look, this would probably be the one of the safest places to buy a used engine.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Does anyone know if or where u can buy a brand new raptor700 engine? I've seen lots of used engines but would rather just pay for something I know is new..
If anyone has awebsite or knows of anywhere I could get one.. that would help alot..
-Thanks in advance
I completely destroyed one beyond rebuilding. It was Jan of 10 I asked the local stealership if they sold new or rebuilt engines. They said no go to eBay you can get a good engine of there anywhere from 1200-1800 stock or slightly modded.

·
Registered
415 Posts
i saw a low hr motor with an hc2 for $1250 in the for sale section. i think it may have sold though. but they pop up on here quite often. i have seen some fully build monsters in there for not a really large amount. but still in the $3000-5000 range. but a proven 70-80hp motor seems worth that to me.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
I recall asking a friend of mine who is a certified Yamaha mechanic about buying a complete new engine and I am pretty sure he told me that they do not sell a complete motor as an individual item....May have changed, but that`s what I was told !

I would agree with other posters about finding yourself a good low hour motor and have it "gone through" by a reputable mechanic....if you can find one....lol.

~ Sandaddy 8)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts