Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Well I bought my first quad '08 700R it's completely stock & of course I have just a couple questions. 1st. is noise... Can you or should you hear the timing chain at idle? It's not horrible but you can definitely hear it. I researched a bit and understand how to pull the tensioner and check or count the number of "clicks" on the arm. If T-chain is needed I want the best chain any suggestions?
Is there anything else I should replace while I am at it. Not sure how involved the T-Chain R&R is, I am waiting for my shop manual now.

2nd. Modifications... Can't afford a box of parts so I will do this peace-meal, my thought is get the fuel controller first then move on to the intake, exhaust, etc.
Having some experience with Dobeck, (Harley), I am thinking Power Commander lll, I see there is a V but does that work for the '09 and up? Any suggestions on what works best for a rider, (Not Race bike!) would be appreciated.

Thanks for allowing me to be part of your forum.
Chris

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
:beer: Welcome to the site, and congrats !

The Dobeck styles work alright for bikes with minor/bolt-on mods (intake/exhaust), but once you get into the engine the PowerCommander is a better choice. Both the PC3 and PC5 are good choices.

The PC5 has a bit more tuning and allows for you to run an Auto-tune, though if you have access to or plan on using a dyno to tune, then it's not real necessary and I'd just run a PC3. You can find a used PC3 for around $150-175 generally. They are available for all years. And yes, this should be your first mod if you plan on doing an intake and/or exhaust in the future.

No clue on the timing chain though, sorry. My 700 is really just a pile of parts at the moment :lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
2nd. Modifications...

If you have to piece it together, start with the PCIII, or PCV. Yes the PCV will work, I have one on my '09 raptor. It has a few more features and you can probably find a new one for about the same price.

Check out http://www.fuelmotousa.com/ they will send you free maps as you change your set up. Next mods I would recommend would be an intake and a set of duels.

I'm no help on your first question, sorry :)

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :beer:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thank you so much for the information. Just got the Clymer's manual, Gonna pull the tensioner seeing how I just am uncomfortable with the chain noise.

Any recommendations for handle bars? I am going 1.125" But not sure about width, sweep, and rise? Is there one that most settle on? Saw some 1.125" on E Bay but they were almost identical in dimensions... Maybe thats why there on E Bay? I have a feeling this is a personal preference thing, but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts