Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my first Raptor this weekend on a trade for my GSXR, it's an 01 660, I've been looking it over and researching on the forums here and I have a few questions that I can't seem to get fully answered using the search function. I've been working on quads and dirtbikes my whole life but always 2-strokes so this is a little new for me. Just want to check with people who are familrai with them before I screw something up!

First off it has a Big Gun slip on, no air box lid and a foam filter. It does not like to idle at all, it starts fine and runs great. When it sits not running there is a gas leak looks like its coming from the carb overflow tube?? I was planning on pulling the carbs off and cleaning them, checking float height, etc. Should I also plan on rejetting while I have the carbs apart?

Second it is blowing a tad bit of white smoke, more so when cold but still does it when it's warm. I'm used to 2-strokes and don't know if any smoke is acceptable for a 4-stroke. I was thinking maybe throwing a new piston and rings in it is a good idea??

I'm going to do an oil change and coolant change. Is there anything else I need to watch for or check out?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congrats on getting a raptor!! If you have a aftermarket pipe as well as no air box lid rejetting is definitely in order for you. That should smooth it out real nice. As far as what size jets, etc. i am not an expert on that and i am sure much more knowledgable people will chime in on your issues. As for the white smoke all i can tell yah is i dont see that on any of the quads we run so you prolly are burning a bit of oil so it might be time to change them piston rings. Good luck, I am sure everyone on this forum will get yah straightened out!!

·
Master of the Electron
14,550 Posts
The leak is likely a leaky float valve... good idea to remove and clean the carbs - they like to gunk up if left sitting for a while. Pay close attention to cleaning the pilot jets - their passages are tiny and plug easily - this is most likely your poor idle issue.

Also, check the o-ring around the float valve seat. They can crack/flatten and leak - causing the overflow you are seeing (if it isn't obviously a dirty float valve needle or seat).

Just make sure to clean the carbs thoroughly and, with luck, all the issues you are seeing (white smoke can be due to too lean) will go away.

RE: rejetting... one must assume that it ran good for the previous owner at some point. Unless mods to the exhaust or intake have been made and the bike was NOT re-jetted to match the increase in flow, then the jets you have already are probably fine. I'd suggest, when you do get into the carbs, document what jet numbers are where and tell us. We'll then be able to tell you if they are in the ballpark of being correct for your particular mods. Just off the top of my head, I would suggest you need 25 pilots and on the order of 160-165 mains. Other's may have better ideas.

Let us know how it comes out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks quadmaniac. I was thinking along the same lines, if there is a prob with the carbs that could contribute to a lean condition and also be causing the white smoke. I'll post what I find when I get them off, cleaned and properly adjusted!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I got it apart and I have 22.5 pilots and 170 mains. I also found that it has a proform alum. air filter plate. Should I rejet?

·
Master of the Electron
14,550 Posts
Without a lid, you should have minimum 25 pilots. The 170 mains, although perhaps a bit large, will probably be ok. You will know if, when all else is set well, it bogs at WOT. It is most common to have the left hand carb's main a tad smaller than the right - 165L/170R, for instance, would be more normal.

·
I am unique
22,620 Posts
Ok I got it apart and I have 22.5 pilots and 170 mains. I also found that it has a proform alum. air filter plate. Should I rejet?
The #25 pilot jets should be sufficient, But you will need aftermarket needles to run without the air box lid, GYTR or Dynojet needles will work and put the about half way up in the clip area.
Your main jet size should be about 165 to 175.
The needles if they are aftermarket will have 6 grooves, if not you should purchase them...........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, one last question. I have the float level set and it runs great right now, it feels like it pulls much harder and has much more power. However if I leave the fuel on at the petcock one of the bowls overfills and comes out the overflow. I'm thinking needle and seat, is this something common on these carbs?

·
I am unique
22,620 Posts
Thanks guys, one last question. I have the float level set and it runs great right now, it feels like it pulls much harder and has much more power. However if I leave the fuel on at the petcock one of the bowls overfills and comes out the overflow. I'm thinking needle and seat, is this something common on these carbs?

I wouldn't say it is common, but you are right on your assumptions as to what is causing the problem.........

·
Master of the Electron
14,550 Posts
If your needle and seat are clean and smooth, then it is common for the o-ring under the seat to leak, especially if you removed the seat to clean it - the old o-ring has become stiff, and after being disturbed, no longer makes a good seal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts