Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well I recently purchased an used 2007 Raptor 700 GYTR. It looks like it was in pretty good shape. I took it out riding last weekend and noticed the fan wasn't working! The temperature light came on and I immediately shut it off waiting for the fan to cut on, nothing!

I've done my fair share of searching and found out there was a fan short circuit in the 2006 Raptor, well I checked anyway and mine was pretty snug, so there was no shortage. I also did a troubleshoot I read most users advise on doing, so I wired it up to the battery. Still no luck. Well I still took the advice of users on this forum and brought a Spal fan today. Hopefully that solves the problem!

With all that being said, what should I do in order to diagnose any more problems? I am going to flush the coolant and put in Engine Ice. (Any advice?)

I'm wondering if I should put in an inline temperature gauge?

I am also going to flush and change the oil. What oil should I use and should I change the oil filter? (I already read the sticky, so I think I should be good with that!)

I already topped on the DOT 4 brake fluid (had some left over from previous dirtbike).

I also have to change the tires, any recommendations? (10% road riding, 90% trails, dirt, mud, grass)

Anything else I should do? I was thinking about taking it to the dealer in case timings are wrong, or something else that I can't figure out before it's too late, but they are freaking too expensive!

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't know much about 700s but it sounds like you're off to a decent start. As for oil I would definately go with some kind of synthetic. Where you from?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would not bother with the engine ice. I just run regular pre mixed and bever had an issue. As for oil I run 5-40 semi syn. Takes a little over two quarts. One in the crank case and one in the filler tank then run it and check it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Landover, MD. I brought a bike from Hyser Cycle in Laurel before, they are pretty good but service is expensive!!!

Should I put an in line gauge?

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Whatever oil you feel like running will work fine, i run a fully synthetic but thats what i choose and yes change the oil filter when you change the oil, there's nothing wrong with running engine ice to cool the motor a few degrees but its expensive vs coolant so its your choice i run it though 20$ a quart.find a good Atv mechanic instead of taking it to a dealer there labor rates will kill you. I bought two pro circuit engine stickers and stuck one one the rappy engine to monitor the temp they were 15$ for the pair

·
Registered
615 Posts
Any kind of oil will NOT work fine. You will have to have to get oil that will work with wet clutches.
I would not bother with the engine ice, IMO the cost is not worth the result. you can use and additive like watter wetter and it is much cheaper, doesn't keep it quite as cool as Engine Ice but it does help.

If you do go to Engine Ice be sure you get ALL the regular antifreeze out. You cannot mix ethylene glycol antifreeze with engine ice, it causes it to gel. I learned that one the hard way.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
I was trying to not start the oil war that always ensues bnt since im getting my ass jumped for being unbiased, use fully synthetic yamalube the gold bottle. let the battle begin. And remember these are opinions so do your research

·
Registered
615 Posts
I was trying to not start the oil war that always ensues bnt since im getting my ass jumped for being unbiased, use fully synthetic yamalube the gold bottle. let the battle begin. And remember these are opinions so do your research
What are you talking about an oil war??? All I stated was you cannot use just 'any' oil, it needs to be one that is designed for wet clutch systems, thats all. No one is jumping anyones ass, I never stated a specific brand because that is just a matter of opinion and I could care less what anyone else uses.

What i stated was a fact, you cannot use conventional oil in an ATV that runs a wet clutch system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha, lets get along guys.

I really don't care if you guys put out names like Yamalube. I used to use that and swore by it 5 years ago when I had a dirtbike. But if it comparable to something I can get at Autozone (and you guys know a brand name and had experience using it on the 700) why not give it a try.

The only reason I'm leaning towards the Engine Ice is that I don't want my engine to overheat and something more expensive breaks. The light came on twice when I was riding and I remember that when you turn the engine off on the 660 you would hear the fan cool down. So I was going to use engine ice in order to have a, option number 2, just in case my Spal fan fails.

Am I wrong? Also, any recommendations on flushing out the coolant? There wasn't a comprehensive write up from that, but one thing I did read was to put a garden hose in it and flush it out that way.

·
LOOK UP IN THE SKY ITS A BIRD, A PLANE, THAT'S THE
547 Posts
hi, welcome to the a great place.well as for oil i use mobile racing 4t .as far as tires go i have kenda's on mine right now and they are very good in all dirt ,mud ,sand etc.. they are klaws on the front and knarly's on the back.i just order a new set from here http://www.atvtirestore.com/ very good on price's and fast shipping .i got a set of klaw's front and rear .not sure what tire size you have on it now but they have all sizes and brand's .i would suggest to try one of the site sponser's before you go there but as cash flow is they were the best price i found at least for me .i'm going with 21x7x10 on the front and 20x11x10 on the rear .i had to go with the 20x11x10 on the rear because of the rim's im getting .just remember if you go up on the front's like 22 or rear ,might want to change out the sprocket to equal out .i have 20x11x9 on the rears right now but had to go up because of the rim's ,but just loose a little side wall .but you will see there are a lot of opions on tire's so it's really up to you .:D well good luck with it! oh ya i use slime in the tires .some like it some don't but imo it's well worth it just to have a little extra protection !

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Any kind of oil will NOT work fine. You will have to have to get oil that will work with wet clutches.
Whoa, simmer down :lol:

I think his point was to say any oil for his application (yfm700R) will work. Not just any old oil on the shelf, but more to the fact that you'll have 300 different brand names being brought up when you discuss 'which oil' to use.

Welcome to the forum RapMaster0 :beer: Where are you from ? I would personally rather take my bike to a reputable builder in the area for any work you can't do yourself instead of to the Yami shop. Some dealerships are good, but some are staffed with inexperienced shop boys who can barely turn a wrech- AND they'll charge you out the ass for it.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Whoa, simmer down :lol:

I think his point was to say any oil for his application (yfm700R) will work. Not just any old oil on the shelf, but more to the fact that you'll have 300 different brand names being brought up when you discuss 'which oil' to use.

Exactly what i meant thanks seg:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
615 Posts
The 'NOW' capitilaized was not meant as yelling, it was meant to stress that it is not ok to run 'any' kind of oil. I am sure 686 knew that, I never said he didn't but there are people that are on this board that are new to this that wouldn't know the difference. It never had anything to do with a specific brand, I have no clue where that even came from.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey man I live in Landover, MD. There is one shop called Heyser Cycle. EXPENSIVE for service though. Any ideas for mechanics?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts