Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my 07 700 with a bent rod for an 04 660 that runs okay. I have no clue what's done to this bike as far as engine work. The guy I got it from said it's bored out, not sure if I believe him or not. It has a lexx slip on and I believe the head pipe is aftermarket.( No heatshield or holes to indicate mounting of factory heat shield.) It also has a k&n filter but factory airbox. When you first start it you have to hold the choke until it warms up then you're good to go. Last time I rode it i held choke while it was warming up but it would idle like shit. When I let choke off it would be fine. Anytime I bumped the throttle at all it would die. Once I finally got it to run right I took it up the road and it started sputtering and spitting and then it died when I pulled the clutch. I let go to try and get it started again and it ran until I slowed down enough for it to die on its own and never re started. Now it tries to start but if i try to give it gas while it's turning over it backfires at me still can't get it to start. I believe it needs help in the carburetor department so I plan on cleaning it tomorrow. How do I know what size jets are in there if they're bigger than factory or not? This is my first dealings with a carb I'm mechanically inclined but never dealt with a carb engine at all. If factory jets are in place what do I need to put in there to help it run best. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
579 Posts
You need to open carbs up an clean. Guys who say shit with out any proof are just guys who say shit.

Clean them, work on jetting, throw that k&n away and but a prodesign air filter kit. Don't jet a bike in winter and expect it to be better correctly for all year. It will be lean in summer.

·
Super Moderator
7,881 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Once you open up the carb, post what size jets you currently have in there. Take notes..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay took the carb out today the choke plastic bolt was broken at the threads so I ordered a whole new choke cable. The seals under the lid portion of the carbs are toast flat spots everywhere as far as the Jets though they were all really clean. Only the two big ones had o-rings is that normal? Also they were all tight I thought you were supposed to screw them in and back them out some? Never done this before could use some help Idk how to tell if they're factory or not. Carb has obviously been torn into before as the screws that hold the lids down are all messed up. TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Jet sizes will be stamped on the jets. Genuine Mikuni brand jets will have a small square box in the corner of a larger box. That's their emblem. Dynojets will be stamped with DJ along with the jet size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve looked at these jets every way I can and I still don’t see anything stamped on them any clue as to why? Cheap ones maybe? Previous owner did skimp out on quite a few things. Ex: headlights are zip tied on, filter is at least 3 years old, wiring for underglow lights looks like a birds nest.

·
Super Moderator
7,881 Posts
Go to jetsrus website. There is a page on there showing various manufacturers of Jets and their markings. Might help you identifying.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,841 Posts
Take some fine steel wool or emery paper and clean off the discoloration and look for markings. This may allow them to be read better.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
You need to remove the main jets from the tubes that they are threaded in to. Use a wrench to hold them and a flat blade screwdriver to unscrew it. The stamp is on the same side as the slot for the screw driver for the mains.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts