Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so for a start i got an 03 Raptor for a decently cheap price thinking i could fix it up easily... well here are the problems..

it was said to be the cdi box as a problem... so first off this may sound stupid but i need to locate the cdi box.. so where is this thing hidden??

2nd i put a battery in to see if it would turn over.. all it does is turn the starter.. it doesnt engage the engine or turn it over at all.. while turning the motor the nuetrl light is one and the temp light flashes red.. if that makes any difference.

just tryin to find some suggestions on what to do to get this thing running..

i have a buddy with an 02 raptor, so if it would help we could interchange parts to find problems to save trouble of buying new parts.. i just need some ideas. Thanks for your time and help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so i did a little more reaearch as i should have done before i posted.. looks as if it could be a starter bearing problem?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
yeah starter clutch is what it sounds like. I should have one for your year up for sale. I still gotta tear it apart but I was told it was a HD one way. You will need the oneway and 52 tooth gear. There were also OEM ones on eBay 160ish. Mine will be cheaper;)

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Okay so for a start i got an 03 Raptor for a decently cheap price thinking i could fix it up easily... well here are the problems..

it was said to be the cdi box as a problem... so first off this may sound stupid but i need to locate the cdi box.. so where is this thing hidden??

2nd i put a battery in to see if it would turn over.. all it does is turn the starter.. it doesnt engage the engine or turn it over at all.. while turning the motor the nuetrl light is one and the temp light flashes red.. if that makes any difference.

just tryin to find some suggestions on what to do to get this thing running..

i have a buddy with an 02 raptor, so if it would help we could interchange parts to find problems to save trouble of buying new parts.. i just need some ideas. Thanks for your time and help is greatly appreciated!
CDI is located behind the battery..............it is black and about 4 X 6 inches...............................

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
with the starter clutch/bearing whatever its called lol with that out.. would i still be able to pull start it and it run?? to see if the cdi box is good or not..

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
with the starter clutch/bearing whatever its called lol with that out.. would i still be able to pull start it and it run?? to see if the cdi box is good or not..
Yes..............:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds good, i thought so.. Just wasnt sure.. I've always been a 2 stroke person, had my fair share of banshee's. The gf recently got into riding so i figured a 4 stroke would take more abuse and would suit her riding abilities better.. Thanks for the help. i'll let you know how it goes or if i need any other help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts